Kat's Reviews > Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell

Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell by Susanna Clarke

bookshelves: 2022, 2022-audiobooks

“She wore a gown the color of storms, shadows, and rain and a necklace of broken promises and regrets.”

This novel is historical but it is wrapped in magic. And it is perhaps the most well-written fantastical alternate history ever!

I listened... and loved the brilliance of the conversations Clarke writes. I felt like I was there... listening with rapt attention. (The narration is excellent, btw. Thank you Simon Prebble!)

I need to have a brief sidebar about the footnotes... oh.my.gosh. This might be the smartest twist ever... and the part that wraps this historical book in the most incredibly fantastical alternate history. To say I loved it is an understatement. These bits elevated this novel for me!

And the magic. Oh my. It is well done. It is curious. It makes one wonder... could it happen?

“Time and I have quarreled. All hours are midnight now. I had a clock and a watch, but I destroyed them both. I could not bear the way they mocked me.”

I had originally given this book 4-stars, but when conversations continue to rattle around in your brain for days after you have finished, well... it just needs 5-stars. And the quotes... quotes for days and beyond. Thank you, Susanna Clarke for writing what might just be my favorite book of the year!

“And how shall I think of you?' He considered a moment and then laughed. 'Think of me with my nose in a book!”

I highly recommend!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell.

November 2, 2022 – Shelved