Tanya W's Reviews > The Power of Habit: Why We Do What We Do in Life and Business

The Power of Habit by Charles Duhigg

1190762
Jan 15, 2013

bookshelves: 2013-read, non-fiction, self-improvement
Read in January, 2013

Okay, maybe 4 1/2 stars... really good and I flew right through it! This book is full of interesting and poignant stories and case studies, and the science (in layman's terms)of habit.

I loved the story of Bill Wilson, the founder of Alcoholics Anonymous. I personally appreciate the power of belief (which in my case centers on a higher power... A God who loves me and cares about me and wants to help me, but I still have to do my part). Okay, I'm getting a little off track.

There are so many great stories here... loved the stories of Tony Dungy, Febreze, and the man who manages two Starbucks. Even though I'm not a coffee drinker, I'm impressed with the training program Starbuck's uses... I like their LATTE acronym for dealing with complaining customers: Listen, Acknowledge, Take action, Thank, Explain (seems like a diplomatic and friendly way of dealing with relational difficulty in daily life). Starbuck's also uses role-playing for automaticity... it makes me realize how important that is for me in helping my children anticipate and be prepared for various situations they may face.

I also appreciated the science about giving choice and control for happier employees (and I'm guessing that goes for children and spouses as well). I know I need to not be so "commanding" sometimes. : ) How wonderful to have validation for good principles: the studies show that kindness promotes focus and good work. I want to always remember that and I really want to be a kind person even though I sometimes fall short.

Not only is this book very interesting, it offers practical help for developing new habits , replacing bad habits, understanding motivation, and working with others in a way that is motivating.

I did wish that the book had summaries at the end of the chapters, other than that, it was the near-perfect read for me.

Other notes for me:
Recognize "craving for distraction".
Recognize and understand "negative habit loops" so I can develop better habit loops.
Believe (for me that goes hand in hand with prayer, which I feel has been a key part of significant changes I have made in my life).
Remember the small and simple things... look for "small wins".

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Power of Habit.

03/11 marked as: read