Dawn's Reviews > The Pox Party

Mar 27, 2009

did not like it
bookshelves: teen-historical-fiction
Read in April, 2009

I finally finished this on audiobook. I was wondering if I would have enjoyed this more if I had read it, but I don't think I would have. I think that it didn't help that this was an audiobook, and one of my complaints about the book is that it goes on and on incessantly about crap that doesn't really do anything for the plot or the enhancement of the characters. And the over-the-top period language drove me crazy by the end. I would have liked it better if all of the third person narration parts were omitted.

I have also been wondering about the classification of "YA" or teen books. Does every book with a tween or teen protagonist automatically get designated as a YA book? Although I wouldn't really recommend this to anyone, I especially would not recommend it to anyone 18 or under. The beginning is soooo boring, I cannot imagine them sticking with it! This really seems like a book that was written for adults that happens to have a teen protagonist. A huge disappointment for me, considering all of the accolades and positive reviews that it has received. I feel like I really missed something here.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Pox Party.

01/10/2017 marked as: read

message 1: by Megan (new)

Megan I agree. I don't think it should be classified as YA. Based on language alone, this is a book for adults. I pity the poor high school students who will be assigned this in a few years because of its subject and classification as Young Adult literature.

message 2: by Kat (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kat I'm in middle school and I loved the book. Your problem was probably the fact that you listened to it on and audiobook instead of reading it. And the language isn't even that bad.

message 3: by Cameron (last edited Sep 16, 2013 06:53PM) (new) - added it

Cameron Nunez I disagree with your opinion on both the age group and the story of the book. I feel that the age group fits this book because teenagers can relate easier to Octavian than adults because he develops into a teenager. Later in the book, his depressive growing nature involves the death of his mother while his hormones take over. Also, teenage readers can see how Octavian sees things in his environment easier than an adult can since adults see things differently. For example, adults might not be able to empathize with him trying to define himself or understand his purpose. The story itself is quite astounding to me. It has a rather stunning and unusual plot that is really interesting. I can also see how people spoke and treated each other in the 18th century and how things operated. Mr. Sharpe was a perfectly designed character that readers love to hate as he tries to prove to the world that there is a difference between an African and an European. The ending was very shocking, as I expected an upsetting, sad one.

Naomi This is not a good one to listen to. You have to read it to experience the style and see the parts that Octavian scribbled over.

Shelli There are a couple of sections that Octavian wrote and then scribbled out, relying entirely upon our ability to see the written page. How did they even convey this on audio?

Ashley Hutto I second the sentiments that this is most definitely not one you listen to. I even thought of quickening my progress by doing so but decided against it. You will gain much more by taking the time to read it!

Gracie As a teen reader myself, I can confirm that I “finished” this book for no other reason than it being an assigned read. It was very hard to get through and so painfully uninteresting. I absolutely agree with you