Richard's Reviews > A Game of Thrones

A Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin

Mar 26, 2009

bookshelves: bookclub, fantasy, series, fantasy-epic
Recommended to Richard by: SciFi & Fantasy Group 2008-06 Fantasy Selection

(Not actually a review. Others have done that perfectly well. This is actually a reminder to myself — and a pointer to anyone else that stumbles over here — that The Atlantic has a significant and enthusiastic series of blog posts discussing the HBO adaptation of this series. They also have an interview with the author of "Difficult Men: Behind the Scenes of a Creative Revolution" on why we are in the third Golden Age of television. GoT isn't mentioned, but the complexity and moral ambiguity clearly applies — of course, the book can go deeper into both of those, and is better for it.)

(Hmmm, I only gave this four stars? I guess so — the third book is when the series hit its high notes, and convinced me that this is the best epic fantasy series ever written.)

Summer 2016 update — since I'll probably have to re-read the entire series when the next book (books!) finally come out, I'll add in a reminder to myself that multiple essayists and bloggers have done interesting analyses of this series, including Race for the Iron Throne, a "Historical and Political Analysis" by Steven Attewell, and Westeros is Poorly Designed by Lyman Stone.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Game of Thrones.

Quotes Richard Liked

George R.R. Martin
“... a mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge.”
George R.R. Martin, A Game of Thrones