Jacqueline's Reviews > The Flame Tree

The Flame Tree by Richard Lewis

bookshelves: indonesia, jf, teen

The Flame Tree far surpassed my expectations! Isaac, the son of American missionary doctors is being raised at a combination hospital/school in Indonesia. There is unrest in the small city that he lives in when a new religious leader emerges. Despite having been raised in the city, playing with the local kids, attending local festivals, and frequenting neighborhood businesses, Isaac finds himself suddenly an outcast who is no longer safe.

When Isaac becomes an important figure in the religious and cultural struggle that develops, both he and his family learn more about themselves, trust, and the nature of their spirituality. This is not a religious book, but it does explore the universal themes of forgiveness, acceptance, belief, and faith.

The Flame Tree reminds me of The Bronze Bow by Elizabeth George Speare. It may have been even better because of the modern setting and events that are so close to our present lives. I highly recommend this book. It is the best book that I have read this year to date.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Flame Tree.

Started Reading