Katie G's Reviews > Something, Maybe

Something, Maybe by Elizabeth Scott

liked it
bookshelves: 2013-book-list, contemporary, young-adult

This book sucked me in with the first sentence. Hannah's parents are very different from the types of parents I'm used to seeing in real life (and in books), and that was fun. I like that her mom can be half-naked all the time but still have a decent relationship with her daughter - even if her daughter is exasperated with her half the time. It was different and entertaining, and I enjoyed watching them interact with each other.

I also liked her relationship with her father. She says she's not going to let him get to her, but he's her father, so of course she lets him get to her. Their relationship annoyed me at first, but it also seemed realistic given the circumstances. Though I do wish her mother didn't always make excuses for him (although I guess that, too, was realistic, if annoying).

What was annoying and NOT realistic was Hannah's relationship with Finn and Josh. I get that she's obsessed with the wrong guy - I think most people have probably done that at some point - but I don't get how she doesn't see that Finn likes her. That's obvious from the first chapter. I could understand being in denial about it, but she's just so shocked, and that was really hard to believe - especially because she's someone who obsesses over every little detail.

There was also a lot of telling in this novel. That whole "show, don't tell" piece of advice has always annoyed me because I'm never sure what I'm "allowed" to tell and what I must show, but now I get it. So much of this book is simply her telling us what happened, laying out her entire back story for us. Some of it was amusing, but a lot of it was repetitive and boring.

Overall, this was a decent book. I liked Hannah as a character. I just wish we had gotten to see more of Teagan and that the romance aspect wasn't so utterly, annoyingly predictable.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Something, Maybe.

January 12, 2013 – Shelved