The Flooze's Reviews > Dark Lover

Dark Lover by J.R. Ward

Mar 25, 2009

liked it
bookshelves: paranormal-romance, vanquished_2009, owned
Recommended to The Flooze by: Who DIDN'T recommend it!
Read in September, 2009 , read count: 1

In reading this, I've come to the firm conclusion that I really am a UF girl. I can enjoy PNR, but the conventions of the genre drive me batty.

The ridiculously quick connection between the characters, the Sudden Surprise Sex (with an intruder, no less), and all the blooming cores were too much for me. Flares of lust and heat and need struck me as cliché.

In terms of the universe, Ward paints her world of warrior vampires and their soulless opponents with broad strokes. We get the bare minimum of information regarding the how and why of their existence. And Mr. X strikes me as rather bland for a psychopath.

As I got closer to the end of the book, however, the elements seemed better structured. The potential results of Wrath's decisions could lead to a much more layered and intriguing universe than what's presented here.

The rest of the brothers seem interesting, and I became a fast fan of Butch. When I might have given up reading, the fearless, frustrated cop kept me going. I might not love who he pairs up with in this book, but I do want to know more about him and how he's going to cope.

And I'll admit, I want to know what the hell is up with Zsadist.

One thing I must ask...where do 300 year-old vampires pick up an affinity for gangsta rap? Random. Almost as random as the character names. Scribe Virgin? Really?

Overall, I'm not completely sold, but I'll read the next one. Peer pressure wenches, you have done your duty.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dark Lover.

09/20/2009 page 20
5.09% "Cease dancing, peer pressure wenches. Victory is thine."
09/21/2009 page 273
69.47% "Look at me. Not staring. Hey, this is a nice rug. You ever notice it before?"
show 1 hidden update…

Stav just curious, but how haven't you read this already?

The Flooze The character names seemed infinitely irksome.

Tohrment? Rehvenge? Phury?

Ugh. I just cringed typing them.

Also, I've read some of the excerpts on her website and I don't like the writing.

I'm not keen to read it, but I'll give it a try based on everyone's recommendation.

Shannon (formerly The Holy Terror) There's a lot of made-up slang and the names do take some time getting used to, but the overall story is fantastic. I hope you like it. Or at least, I hope you like the first one enough to continue with the rest.

The Flooze I just had to put the book down because I'm CRACKING UP over the line: "Her core bloomed for him."

Oh. My. Gawd.

::cackling merrily::

Shannon (formerly The Holy Terror) Yeah, that's uh, groan-worthy. And not so much in a good way.

The Flooze Oh. No.

A huge, intimidating killer has broken into my apartment.

But he's gorgeous. So obviously, I simply must fuck him.

Give it here, big boy.

::snort::

message 7: by Mel (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mel LOL. I know! But don't worry Michelle. I was like that too... but you'll get sucked into it (pun intended!).

The Flooze Freakin' peaches. Stop talking and get working, boy.

I felt badly for Marissa until I realized she could dump him easy-peasy and didn't. Damn, she stupid. Uh, hello? CENTURIES pass and you haven't done the deed? Get a clue. Get a backbone! Put a shitkicker up HIS ass and move along. Oye oye oye.

I want more Butch.

Stav you're reading it!!!

Butch gets his own book...soo keep reading :)

message 10: by Mel (last edited Sep 21, 2009 07:16AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mel Wait till about 3/4 th of the book. There will be some backbone growing and I think you'll like who inspired it.

message 11: by Stav (new) - rated it 3 stars

Stav Mel,

we cannot let her give up on this...do you understand?!...lol

message 12: by Mel (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mel Noo noo! Michelle, hold on. You'll become mesmerized by the brothers eventually. It happened to me before I knew it, even if I was huffing and puffing halfway through the book and commenting on everything.
I'm sure you'll like Zsadist. He is just so interesting! And Butch has his own book coming up. So much more good to come :D:D:D

The Flooze Mel wrote: "Wait till about 3/4 th of the book. There will be some backbone growing and I think you'll like who inspired it.

"

::sigh::

Please don't tell me Butch gets with Marissa. Because I won't like that. I already hate her passive dainty ass.

The Flooze I want to skip to the supposed BDSM one!

Nichole (Dirrty H) But you can't! Too much important stuff happens before that. And the BDSM is pretty tame... but it's V's book and since V is GOD it's awesome.

Oh, and Marissa gets better, but I never did end up liking her. She's better than Cormia, though (book 6).

Shannon (formerly The Holy Terror) Yeah, Marissa is way better than Cormia. But we're getting ahead of ourselves here, she's only on the first book!

message 17: by Stav (new) - rated it 3 stars

Stav don't skip!....its like the DH commandments imposed on me...thou shall not skip!!!

message 18: by Mel (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mel No don't wory Michelle. Butch and Marissa will not hook up.

The Flooze Well thank god for small favors, Mel.

I won't skip, Stav. You know I'm OCD with reading in order. But good that you remember my decree. :)

Oh, really, Nichole? GOD you say? Well, even tame BDSM can get the motor runnin'.
Shannon, I may be on the first book, but hints and such may compel me to keep reading! Is Cormia this chick that Phury is celibate for? Because if he's abstaining and meanwhile she's a bitch? Oye.

Do the others have any actual lead-in before they're banging like bunnies?

Nichole (Dirrty H) Yes, God. Only sexier.

Phury is not celibate for Cormia, he's celibate for, well, other reasons. And Cormia isn't a bitch, she's like Marissa only way way worse.

And yes, there's lead-in in the other books. Dark Lover is probably the weakest of the series, they get so much better. A lot of people don't like book 6 for various reasons, but as far as overarcing plot it's really good.

message 21: by new_user (last edited Sep 21, 2009 02:29PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

new_user Yeah, the other books are definitely better. They're more layered. :) Also, don't knock Marissa, man. She's just human... er, vampire. Not everyone can be gung-ho, LOL. I love Butch too. I thought I was the only one. *sniff* Well, until he becomes metro...

Shannon (formerly The Holy Terror) Michelle M. wrote: "Shannon, I may be on the first book, but hints and such may compel me to keep reading!"

Ok, I just didn't know how much you want spoiled.

I think it's worth mentioning though that even though each book has a central couple there's still a bunch of other storylines going on at the same time. So if you get bored with one aspect or don't like a particular person chances are the story will shift before you get discouraged or want to stop reading.

Oh, and as for Butch going metro, I actually don't mind that - he's still pretty rough around the edges. I also really really like his bromance with V, that's some sexy stuff there.

Shannon (formerly The Holy Terror) Nichole wrote: "Phury is not celibate for Cormia, he's celibate for, well, other reasons."

Phury is celibate because he's a self-indulgent whiny bitch. Ugh. He's absolutely my least favorite of them all. Surprisingly though, I still liked Lover Enshrined just as much as the rest. Even though I can't stand Phury, the story was fantastic.

The Flooze He turns Metro?!

Nooo! Say it ain't so!!

message 25: by Stav (new) - rated it 3 stars

Stav its sexy though....he starts wearing designer clothes...still sexy....hmmm....V is my fave by far though....

The Flooze Mel is a big fat fibber since Marissa is currently trying to eat Butch alive. Run away from the crazed virgin! Run away!!

Fritz is the cutest little thing, btw.

And I saw a hint of this bromance so far. Me like it.

The Flooze Okay, so once she got kidnapped, my interest level rose. With Butch getting in on the action, and then Wrath getting shot, and Beth going crazed...

All of them sleeping outside the hospital room was darling.

And Marissa got less irritating and dropped the whole simpering thang, so, go her.

Throughout the whole book, I was thinking why the hell aren't they better organized if they've been at this for centuries? It seemed so illogical and self-defeating. So I was pacified when at the end Wrath decided to step up, planning to build a proper military force.

I've heard this series becomes more UF-ish as it goes along. When does that start happening?

message 28: by Mel (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mel Oh my God I'm reading Lover Awakened now and I loooove it!!! I missed my train to work today cause I kept myself up reading it. Gaaaah, I can't wait to be finished with work so I can finish the book. Yet: I don't want to finish it. I haven't bought Butch'and Vishous' books yet!

Sorry Michelle, I'll never lie to you again. But I didn't want to spoil it for you. I tend to spoil stuff for myself cause I'm too curious...
I'm sure you'll love Rhage's book and like the next ones even more.

Meredith Barrons Keep up with it! The first book was the weakest in my opinion. The books get better and better. You have to get to Z's book. Don't skip any or it will ruin it! : ) By the time to get to V's book it is definitely moving towards UF. Can't wait to hear what you think as you read on!

message 30: by Stav (new) - rated it 3 stars

Stav yay!!!!......you're hooked...arent you?!

The Flooze Stav, so not hooked yet. Sorry!
But interested.

Now MEL over there, she's addicted. She's having the withdrawals at work. It'll be okay, Mel!

Well, thanks all for sharing your enthusiasm. I'll pick up book 2 soon, especially since everyone says it only gets better!

message 32: by Mel (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mel LOL, yes I am.
*clears throat* "My name is Mel and I'm a BDB-aholic..."

message 33: by Stav (new) - rated it 3 stars

Stav me too... I've been lugging around the 10 lb "Lover Avenged" for the past few days just to read on the subway... I don't think I've done that since Harry Potter...or maybe Twilight!!!

well never say never Michelle..and you said "yet"... I felt like that with Dark Lover too, and then it got better

message 34: by Stav (new) - rated it 3 stars

Stav I told you, I got 2 & 3 so you can borrow them....when are we going for that Mocha Frape I owe you?

The Flooze BDB-aholic. Lol.

How big is Lover Avenged?

And I don't know, when are you taking me? I've got 2 conferences coming up in Oct and just came back from one, so I've been working late, though I had vowed not to. No assistant anymore! Just me and the daunting task of registering hundreds of people. Sigh.

Sandra ARGH! I think you guys just talked me out of it. 'Her core bloomed for him?' *le sigh*

The Flooze Lol, Sandra. Looks like you'll have the same issues with PNR that I do.

I'll be the guinea pig, read the second eventually, and post a review...you can decide from there!

Laura Lulu One thing I must ask...where do 300 year-old vampires pick up an affinity for gangsta rap? Random.

This. Totally.

The Flooze It's bizarre!! I grew up in the Bronx and I'm not obsessed with it. How do you rationalise it? They just adapt to whatever curent social construct the brotherhood most fits? So since they're defending a territory in modern America, they decide to absorb gang traits? Most gangs are better organised.

It bothers me.

I obsess way too much on details. Prevents me from relaxing into the type of PNR that expects me to take it seriously, but doesn't support its constructs.

Your post just prompted me to re-read this thread. Guess it's a good refresher for when I start book 2!

message 40: by Laura Lulu (last edited Feb 02, 2010 11:55AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Laura Lulu The shitkickers, rap & other various silly urban slang always bothered me in the BDB books. Totally unnecessary to develop them as characters, and does anyone like the brothers more because of it?

That's not a rhetorical question. I'm really curious. :)

The Flooze Lol.

No, it does not enhance them. True.

Laura Lulu Shit, you've only read one book and you're already busting out the "True"? You just may have to read all of them. Looks like fate to me.

new_user LOL. It's doubly odd since she envisions them as biker stereotypes. I mean, Wrath? But it does develop them a little more. What the hey. LOL.

Laura Lulu Yes, I don't know many tough shitkicker-wearing bikers who like gangsta rap.

Who am I kidding, I don't know many tough shitkicker-wearing bikers, period.

But if I did, I don't think they would listen to gangsta rap. Just sayin'.

message 45: by Shannon (formerly The Holy Terror) (last edited Feb 02, 2010 01:45PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Shannon (formerly The Holy Terror) The problem is, none of that even matters. Maybe it was more prevalent in the first couple books but the whole "gangsta rap" thing isn't something that you're bombarded with constantly. I can see how the slang and the silly way their names are spelled could turn people off, but I found it easy to get over.

And they're not bikers, they drive Escalades, like any other self-respecting brutha - I mean Brother. lol.

The Flooze Lol. Escalade!! They be high-class yo. With some extra-dark tintage.

The boards are so inundated with references that without even reading the books, I'm already upset that the bromance was chickened out on, V's HEA was a cop out, and I'm unsure how I feel about Butch being magically included.

And I've picked up the vocab.

I feel as if I've already read them.

Shannon (formerly The Holy Terror) That's what you get for reading spoilers.

Trust me though, they're worth it.

message 48: by Mel (last edited Feb 02, 2010 02:41PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mel You and Laura are totally using BDB vocabulary tonight and you're critisizing it? I don't get it ;)
Shannon is right. Remember before I started the series I was telling Amelia and Stav: "I'm not going to read some stupid series about some cliched leather-clad vampire warriors who talk in gangsta slang and are total brand whores"? But I did anyway and Dark Lover was okay, Lover Eternal really sparked my interest and Lover Awakened sealed the deal. They are indeed worth it.

message 49: by new_user (last edited Feb 02, 2010 02:48PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

new_user Shannon wrote: "The problem is, none of that even matters. Maybe it was more prevalent in the first couple books but the whole "gangsta rap" thing isn't something that you're bombarded with constantly. I can see h..."

Oh, yeah, it's not a big deal for me. I got over the names, the rap, the Escalades-- actually, I'm more conerned that they've disappeared, LOL. They no longer listen to rap or ride the Escalades? LOL.

The slang and invented language was a little harder to digest, and the-- well, you get my point. I got over that too, LOL.

Laura Lulu Oh girls, I got over it...how else could I have read 6 books in less than 2 weeks? Doesn't mean I can't make fun of it. ;)

They are the books I hate to love--I must justify it somehow.

« previous 1