Heather's Reviews > Angels & Demons

F 50x66
Mar 25, 2009

did not like it
Read in March, 2009

On a quest to save the Vatican in around 24 hours, Robert Langdon, a Harvard Professor, and Vittoria, a physicist, unlock clues to gain ground on the cunning plan of the Illuminati.
My conflicts with this book are simple. The implausible was constantly coming to pass during multiple moments of the main plot. A certain weapon was left behind during a pivital scene. The elements of earth, air, fire, and water were not part of Vittoria's common knowledge. The specialties of the main characters were discussed in detail and given in a lengthy lecture-style between characters while antimatter was threatening to blow up the Vatican and cardinals were kidnapped and tortured on the hour. The greatest blunder was the time frame as Robert Langdon only had hours to solve centuries of undisclosed secrets while he was sleep-deprived, escaping life-threatening situations, and traveling across Rome during conclave!
I found this book slightly predictable. I was not motivated to turn the page until I was over 250 pages into this novel. The foreshadowing is lazily written and exhausting at times. I found the violence disturbing and the portrayal of women as sexual objects appalling.
Angels and Demons was a true disappointment, especially for a best-seller.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Angels & Demons.

message 1: by April (new)

April Interesting review, Heather. I was thinking of reading this one sometime b/c I liked his Da Vinci Code. Have you read that?

I'm no longer interested in this one of Brown's. Thank you for sparing me from wasting my time and reading violence and sex content that would turn me off.

Erin I liked the book, but agreed with the women as sexual objects sentiment. Did they need to make that kidnapping so intentionally erotic? Annoying.

message 3: by Joseph (new)

Joseph You're fierce! I liked Da Vinci Code better. I agree that this one was more strained, but I read it several years ago at this point, so I can't really remember all of the details. The airplane stunt really rather blew it for me though. I remember thinking....nah