Tory's Reviews > Mrs. Kimble

Mrs. Kimble by Jennifer Haigh

Mar 25, 2009

Read in March, 2009

The concept, the writing style and most of the characters were all very affective.

Even so, it fell a bit short. The villainous Ken Kimble was badly written. I never saw anything about him that would have made any woman fall desperately, life ruinously in love with him, let alone three women. And yet he, and his wicked ways, was the common thread throughout the book. The linkable character in the stories of three women who loved to their own detriment.

Yet, I still really liked it. Which I initially find hard to explain.... maybe for the parts that paralleled reality so closely. How women often fool themselves when it comes to love. How in a marriage the lines of what is ok, and what is absolutely not, can become blurry and gray. The neglect, the loneliness and the sense of responsibility that is so achingly written from a little boys perspective. The bitterness, the blame and the escape that is so easy to adopt instead of accepting responsibility for poor decisions.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mrs. Kimble.

Patrick I think the reason all three woman liked him is due to the fact he makes it seem that he empathizes with them and accepts them for who they are faults and all. This is especially apparent with Joan and the fact that Ken Kimble seemed to accept her even though she just had a devastating breast removal that she equates with being a woman. One can also see this in the 3rd Mrs Kimble who was told by Ken that she was beautiful despite being seen as ugly all her life due to her disfigurement.