Sharon Styer's Reviews > Behind the Beautiful Forevers: Life, Death, and Hope in a Mumbai Undercity

Behind the Beautiful Forevers by Katherine Boo

F 50x66
Jan 11, 2013

Read in December, 2012

What a book to read during the crazy shopping season of Christmas. I got sick and just stopped, sat in my chair, and read.
Katherine Boo is a remarkable reporter that she could spend so much time in the slums of Mumbai. So much time that she knew the people, their histories, their enemies, their futures.
I was surprised she used her character's read names considering that so much of what they did to survive was illegal.
Illegal is the name of the game in the slums. Quite disheartening learning how every generous gift, helpful program - whatever - is skimmed off and rarely reaches the one's it was intended for. Corruption, corruption, corruption - so disheartening.
It's another story of endurance and survival.
Abdul, the main character, says at the end of the story, "For some time I tried to keep the ice inside me from melting. But now I'm just becoming dirty water, like everyone else. I tell Allah I love Him immensely, immensely. But I tell Him I cannot be better, because of how the world is."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Behind the Beautiful Forevers.