Nichole (DirrtyH)'s Reviews > Claimed By Shadow

Claimed By Shadow by Karen Chance

Mar 24, 2009

bookshelves: 2009, demons, fae, vampires, urban-fantasy, books-i-own, 2011-re-reads
Read in May, 2009

Whew. Poor Cassie - that girl needs a nap more than anyone I've ever met! I read a review on Chance's web site that said something along the lines of this series sort of poking fun at the genre a little bit, and I think that's true. There is so much non-stop action in these books it gets a little ridiculous. But man is it fun!

I was not fully convinced by the first book of this series. I liked it, but it had a lot of issues and so I wasn't compelled to pick up book 2 right away, I waited awhile.
Well, this book was leaps and bounds ahead of book 1. All of the problems there have been fixed. This book was exciting and action packed, but never (well, almost never) confusing. It was pretty easy to follow, and Cassie felt a lot more like her own character and not a bland composite of other urban fantasy heroines. The pace was break-neck, and fun to read. It was fairly easy for me to just go along for the ride and not feel the need to flip ahead to see where things were headed, which I typically have a compulsion to do.

And my has she done a makeover on the character of Pritkin... I was vaguely intrigued by him in book 1, but he has made the complete transformation into full on hottie and ambiguous hero. I'm very excited to see where that goes.

I'm not quite ready to give this book 5 stars, but if the next book stays on this same track, I think this series will move into "favorites" territory.

*Re-read, January 2011.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Claimed By Shadow.

05/17/2009 page 70
18.72% "Am I supposed to have the hots for Pritkin? 'Cause I totally do."
05/19/2009 page 225
60.16% "Wow, this book is so much better than the first one. I'm wishing I hadn't waited so long to get to it!"
12/21/2010 page 70
19.0% "Slow but steady wins the race..."
show 3 hidden updates…

The Flooze I did! But I think I waited for the third book before my fascination blossomed into full-on lust. I need at reread them all for book 4!

Nichole (DirrtyH) I'm thinking I'll let Cassie keep Mircea if I can have Pritkin...

The Flooze I'm still more a Mircea woman, but I was shocked at how suddenly desirable Pritkin became.

He was such an annoying bastard in the first book that I was almost mad that I started to like him. And in book three!! Well....

Enjoy!

message 4: by Mel (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mel Oh... the old days..
But the rereading is going strong I gather?

Nichole (DirrtyH) Well, if by strong, you mean I read about 30 pages last night, then yes. :) I was already on page 18 because I had started my re-read of this one several months ago. I decided to just pick up where I left off.
Angry Pritkin showed up with a sawed-off shotgun and then Cassie took him to 1888 with her. Love these books!

message 6: by Mel (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mel Ooooh great! I love how she says that she wouldn't block anyone who's trying to undo his conception, LOL.
I loved reading the HtM chapters. I was immediately sucked back into the story. Cassie's world is really magical.

I thought you had finished CbS because your review showed up on the update feed.

Nichole (DirrtyH) It did? *sigh*
Who can understand how Goodreads works?

I haven't read the HtM chapters yet, I didn't want to torture myself. But I'll probably read them as soon as I finish my re-read. I'm sure I'll be done long before June.

message 8: by Mel (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mel LOL, I won't bring up the BDB now ...

I'm sure you'll love the chapters. The only thing I didn't like was when I had finished it, and it read "out summer 2011" and we still had a year to go...

Nichole (DirrtyH) I'll probably re-read Lover Unbound when I'm done with this, and alternate between the two series until I'm all caught up before I read any new PNR or UF. But I'll also read some M/M and literary fiction in there somewhere. In case you were wondering my exact game plan for what I'll be reading in the coming month or so. :)

message 10: by Mel (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mel You know you're still my guru, Nichole! :)
I did pick up on your being in a non m/m phase for a while. Glad you got your groove back.

Shelli Your review says it all! Exactly what I was thinking as I finished the book. :)