Melanie's Reviews > The Dragon King's Assassin

The Dragon King's Assassin by Amy Sumida

F 50x66

the fast paced action, terrific characters, magical storylines

Rating: 4🌈

Amy Sumida is a new author for me. My introduction to her writing is the first book in her series, The Dragons of Serai. I found many things here to recommend and some aspects that are just a bit much.

Sumida gives us a world where dragons are the apex being and humanity is among the lowest. Magic is taken for granted and the form of government among the various kingdoms is the Dragon Kings, a title hard fought for in a tournament.

The first story begins in the Kingdom of Racul where assassin Locrian Mahvis has been hired to kill dragon King Tarocvar Verres.

The characters and descriptions are lush and well defined. You can picture each immediately. Loch the King is all self assured power and amusement.

Everything the failed assassin is not. Except that he’s incredibly attracted to the King.

Instant lust , not love, but lust, is understandable here. The author makes a good case for Locrian’s feelings.

But this is the first instance in the book where the author’s leaning towards a certain type of purple prose starts to appear.

“Speaking of thrusting, that piece of man-flesh between those thighs would fill me as I'd never been filled before.”

— The Dragon King's Assassin: An MM Fantasy Romance (The Dragons of Serai Book 1) by Amy Sumida

Shouldn’t that be dragon flesh? And why do those florid statements make me want to giggle instead of sigh?

There will be other instances where “he painted me with his hot desire.” So you see a pattern here.

Luckily, the fast paced action, terrific characters, magical storylines, and charisma between the leads overcome the tendency towards purple prose. Or maybe just make you accept that’s the world where that’s a statement would flourish!

I almost wish this had been a two being pov because I’d love to have had the King’s perspective on his “little mouse” throughout the relationship as it built. As it is, we only get Locrian’s and I think by not including the Dragon it lessens the impact.

There’s a great guardian hound, Ran. A group of pirates, and a setup for the next novel with a Necromancer sailing to help out a friend of the King, another Royal Dragon.

I found this and the couple entertaining so I’m onto the next. Honestly, it’s Dragons. I find them hard to resist.

I’m recommending it!

The Dragons of Serai series:
- [x] The Dragon King's Assassin #1
- [ ] The Dragon Prince's Necromancer #2
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Dragon King's Assassin.

Started Reading