Lauren's Reviews > Let the Sky Fall

Let the Sky Fall by Shannon Messenger

3196231

bookshelves: hard-copy, 2013, niab

Originally reviewed at Nose in a Book.

I read this book in about 6 hours. And I gave it 5 stars. Does that tell you something? Generally I'm a pretty fast reader and I read this at the beginning of a 2-day bender where I read 5 books - YIKES! Anyway, I've been anticipating this book for agessssss. Not only is the cover gorgeous, the premise is fantastic and Shannon Messenger is a total sweetheart. You guys should totally follow her on Twitter if you don't already. To the point, the combination of great writing, a fascinating plot put out by an awesome author was part of the reason I kept reading incessantly for the next 36 hours. (That also might have something to do with the fact that I actually had two days in a row off.) Anyway, Messenger dips into mythology some with Let the Sky Fall, but only to a certain degree, which I liked because so many times mythology-based novels can be bogged down in the mythos. This one was not -- it had just the right amount, enough to get me super interested but not too much to get me confused.

The story begins with Vane bored on summer vacation. His best friend convinces him to go on a blind date, which is where he sees Audra -- but not for the first time. Vane has been dreaming about Audra for as long as he can remember and he's unconsciously been searching her out everywhere he goes. Now he's finally seen her and he confronts her! But his blind date was going really well and when he takes the girl home he almost kisses her. A mysterious wind keeps them apart, however, and Vane still has yet to get his first kiss. We then learn that Audra is manipulating the wind so that nothing can happen. And that she has perhaps been doing similar things for much longer than Vane even suspects.

It turns out that Audra has been watching and protecting Vane for most of his life, without his knowledge of course, because he's like her and he just doesn't know it. They are wind manipulators called sylphs. It's really very cool and something different that I haven't seen from any novel that I've read. Obviously everyone has different affinities for different things, but the basis is the same - the ability to call on and control the wind. We quickly learn that Vane is so important because he's the last of the Westerleys, the sylph line that can control the Westerlies [winds.] Pretty important in the sylph world.

I don't want to ruin anything, but the plot is engaging and intriguing and is a great introduction to the series as a whole. When it was over, I knew there would be more, but I was also happy where it stopped (FOR NOW.) Not only are Vane and Audra battling the enemies they're anticipating, they're battling some internal conflicts they weren't expecting either. And there's the whole fact that Vane needs to deal with the fact that he's a sylph and he needs to learn how to be a sylph. Plus there's some stuff that Audra's hiding from him that comes to light later -- don't worry the reader knows what it is long before Vane does. Overall the angst and the conflict were fantastic and I couldn't put it down to save my life. This is just the first book since Pivot Point that I would highly recommend both because of originality and overall writing. This one isn't one to be missed and I can't wait for the next one!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Let the Sky Fall.

January 10, 2013 – Shelved
March 5, 2013 – Finished Reading
April 13, 2013 – Shelved as: hard-copy
April 25, 2013 – Shelved as: 2013
July 15, 2014 – Shelved as: niab

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)

message 1: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly I'm so tempted to bump this up on my to-read list.

Lauren I loved it! But it was my kind of book, that's for sure. Lots of supernatural stuff and lots of romance. If that's what you like, this is definitely worth it :)

message 3: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly Sounds like the kind of book I'd like. Supernatural and romance make up a good many of the books I love.

I need something that'll blow me away, and this book seems like it'd fit the bill. (And yes, the pun was totally intended.)

Kay (Bookishly Spellbound) Ooh yay! Dying to read this. :)