Melanie's Reviews > Prince of Flowers

F 50x66

it was ok

close to a DNF

Rating: 2.25🌈

I really like this author’s other stories but this is a real miss on so many levels. Frankly I’m astonished.

This was a almost DNF for me. Only the fact that I always hope for a turn for the better keeps me from stopping at my real “I’m done “ point in each book this happens at.

Here it was at about 62% when the Goddess Aphrodite appeared, smug , and making all sorts of declarations about the situation the incompetent summoner has entwined the poor Princely Elf and himself in.

It came at a poor place in the narrative. After a series of tasks the idiot Summoner has forced the elf to accomplish, getting him hurt in the process.

It starts with student Lochlann Wilde, someone who’s less than studious nature has caused him to be one the the college’s oldest students and one who’s so far behind in his levels that he hasn’t earned his Crest.

The story goes on about how fabulous a summoner his father is and what enormous stress it is to live up to that. But you know what? Loch hasn’t memorized his spells, hasn’t put in the work.

So nope. No connection here. And Noor is going with the golden, gorgeous, lazy boy main character first person point of view.

It’s a little bit much.

He decides to summon a eidolon without knowing what he’s summoning. Instead of a animal to be his familiar he summons a actual person, a being. A elf.

Which then becomes his basic captive/slave. Unable to fight back or return home due to the summoning. Instead of breaking the spell like a reasonable, rational human would when confronted with having a living sentient being accidentally enslaved, Loch takes advantage and decides he’s going to get his Crest and extra credits at College by treating the Elf like a specimen/slave/forced eidolon. As well as telling the College it’s their chance to see what a elf is all about.

Right.

So. This whole storyline has a definite bad taste to it.

If you flip the characters. Say have the Fae be the one to enslave the summoner/student by accident, then immediately, the Elf is always dark or evil because they have taken away consent. It’s entrapment. All sorts of flags.

But here, it’s supposed to be ok, because it’s a human. He has needs.

And don’t get me started on the sexual aspect that starts on Loch’s part almost immediately. That on top of the non consensual aspect of this story that gets overlooked is mind boggling.

So no. The Fae isn’t some cute pet to be treated as something to be “tamed”. Another narrative theme that is tired and is sorely overdue to be retired.

Along with the entire story.

So done.

I’m extremely disappointed with so many old, distasteful, or poorly executed elements and characters here.

- [ ] Main Character that’s selfish, lazy, and vain.
- [ ] That another race needs to be “tamed”
- [ ] That another sentient being can be enslaved and that’s fine by both a MC, a college, and apparently a Goddess.
- [ ] Old themes and thoughts on racism and sex. Especially when one has the power over another.

I’m definitely not continuing further. It’s doesn’t matter how it’s resolved because excuses are made for all of the above.

For me, those are things that shouldn’t be excused.

Any of these things sound appealing, maybe none of this will bother you, then investigate the story for yourself.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Prince of Flowers.

Started Reading