Wendy F's Reviews > Sacrifice

Sacrifice by Brigid Kemmerer

4019599

liked it
bookshelves: 2014

Wow..... I do not know how I feel about this! I did not expect that! Once again, Kemmerer has shocked me!

Let’s pause for just a moment to admire the cover model’s blue eyes… simply gorgeous. Soooo much better than the covers of the previous books.

Now that that’s out of the way:

I discovered the Elemental series 2 years ago through my friends here on Goodreads and was completely bowled over by the level of adrenaline and excitement I felt when reading this series. Reading them reminded me of books I read when I was a teenager; stories like LJ Smith’s Secret Circle trilogy, or Christopher Pike’s Witch. Books about witchy characters that are full of magic, action, and fun.

I have always said in my Elemental reviews that if people are looking for a read to lose yourself in that isn't heavy or loaded down, this series is for you. This is all still true, even with the lower rating. I think the problem with this final installment was the strength of my anticipation. The Elemental series starts with a short story about the oldest Merrick brother, Michael, and it was one of those shorts that packs a big wallop. Then, in all of the following books, you watched Michael support all of his younger brothers. He loved them, accepted them, protected them… they sometimes took advantage of his presence in their lives, which is often the case with the ones who carry the responsibility, but we the readers never stop seeing the strength he is for his family even when he’s in the background.

So then you finally, after waiting through 4 more books and 2 more short stories, finally get the second half of Michael’s story and I think maybe there was just no way to write it that would satisfy the readers. I wanted something spectacular for him, and I just didn't feel like I got it.

That’s really the only reason this one was rated down. Other than the lack of a good, blow me away, Michael story the rest of the book was just as great as the earlier books. I thought I had a handle on the tricks that the author pulls, believing that I had thought up every possible twist that could be thrown at us and I was still wrong! I don’t mean to sound cocky, but I've read a lot of books and usually I can guess what’s going to happen before it actually happens. Not with this series. So that is definitely a mark in the positive category.

All in all, I would still over recommend this series to anyone wanting a fun paranormal read full of hot brothers. You can’t go wrong with that formula.

Thank you to Netgalley for providing an advance copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

See this and other reviews at Badass Book Reviews.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sacrifice.

January 10, 2013 – Shelved
August 20, 2014 – Started Reading
August 28, 2014 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

Brittney Lucky you got a chance to read it early! I love this series.