Christi Snow's Reviews > Playing the Part

Playing the Part by Darcy Daniel

My Review:
Three words...blind alpha hero. This is so what I love to read, I honestly think that it would have been difficult for the author to mess it up. I love a wounded hero and you don't get many better than Cole. Cole has been blind for 20 years, since he was 9. Something incredibly traumatic happened to him then that took his sight and his freedom. He runs a farm, which is amazing for a blind man, but he NEVER, EVER leaves it and hasn't in years (cue back to that huge trauma). So you know what that means?? OMG, this gorgeous guy is also a virgin. *sigh* In fact, he's never even kissed a girl. He lives alone on this farm and listens to audiobooks of romance novels to get his "fix" for companionship. Seriously, how can you not melt at those facts?? I loved this book....OMG!

On the other side of the spectrum is Anthea. She's a movie star with a bit of a tragic past too. She spent the first eight years living in the same hometown as Cole (she left before his blindness struck), but then her mother died and her emotionally distant father and brother threw her into the movie lifestyle. As a result, she doesn't make connections with other people and never has since she moved away and her mother is never far from her thoughts. So when a movie role that will change her career comes up and just happens to be an adaptation from her mother's favorite book, she knows this is what she needs to do. Unfortunately, her movie past makes her a joke to the director and she comes up with the idea of learning how to live on a farm so that she is more viable for the part.

The set-up on this book is great. Cole and Anthea weren't the best of friends as kids. She had a crush on him then and so treated him harshly, the way little kids do. Their first meeting doesn't improve on that any as at the beginning of this book Anthea is a bit of a diva who is more than a little full of herself. But through a series of events, they end up living together and forming a team on the farm. I liked the way that their relationship slowly progressed from enemies to friends to more. And let me tell you, there are some smexy scenes in here. Just the kissing alone is written so incredibly well. A simple little kiss and it will melt your panties. Seriously! (I did mention the hero was a virgin, right??? Oh my!!)

I really enjoyed this book. It's set in a small Australian town where Cole's tree farm is located. It was really sweet and was one of those books that I couldn't put down even though I was reading it WAY past my bedtime. I highly recommend it, especially if you are a sucker for wounded heroes like I am.

I received a complimentary copy of this book in return for an honest review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Playing the Part.

January 10, 2013 – Shelved