Amy's Reviews > Scarlett

Scarlett by Alexandra Ripley

Mar 23, 2009

liked it
Read in March, 2009

It's difficult to know how to rate this book. Parts of it really shine. I think I'm frustrated that Ms. Mitchell herself didn't write a sequel to Gone With the Wind, and it's a little hard to know if you're supposed to like a book when some dared to touch such a classic. Over all, I appreciated some of the character development on Scarlett's part. I found it consistent with her character in Gone With the Wind, and consistent with the way a person might "grow up" after having married as young as Scarlett, lived through the war, married twice more, and had three children. In this book Scarlett seemed to finally have some space to figure out who she was and what she wanted.

I did not enjoy the historical aspects of this book nearly as much as those in Gone With the Wind. Perhaps if I was a bit more interested in Irish history (which I may find myself to be someday), I would have enjoyed it more. As it was, I found myself skimming through sections just to find out what happens with the main story. So, from my perspective, the book seemed unnecessarily long.

I *do* love good reunions and happy endings, though, and this books gave us the ending we all longed for in Gone With the Wind.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Scarlett.

Quotes Amy Liked

Alexandra Ripley
“You belong with me, Scarlett, haven't you figured that out? And the world is where we belong, all of it. We're not home-and-hearth people. We're the adventurers, the buccaneers, the blockade runners. Without challenge, we're only half alive. We can go anywhere, and as long as we're together, it will belong to us. But, my pet, we'll never belong to it. That's for other people, not for us.”
Alexandra Ripley, Scarlett

08/24/2016 marked as: read

message 1: by Megan (new) - added it

Megan (Ginger Mom) Exactly! I wish there had been a sequel written and a movie made with the original characters. I wanted to see how Clark Gable and Vivien Leigh played out together in this. That's who I imagined in my head while reading.

message 2: by Amina (new)

Amina Adams Well, maybe she would have written the sequel if she was not run over on the street, poor lady. Scarlett is not as good as Gone With The Wind but on the other hand, Scarlett found redeemption, even Rhett commented she had grown up at last. But I felt there was too much narration about history of Ireland and all that.

Marbie Villanueva I have seen a lot of bad reviews about this book. But I agree with you on this: it is hard to rate if Margaret Mitchell didn't write it. Individually though, it was a pretty good book. Nothing can compare to GWTW, but at least there was a brave soul that tried to give the ending people have been asking for since 1936.