FV Angela's Reviews > One Night with a Cowboy

One Night with a Cowboy by Cat Johnson

liked it
bookshelves: contemporary, reviewed-for-fiction-vixen, read-in-2013

Review originally posted at http://fictionvixen.com/review-one-ni...

In the interest of full disclosure I need to state up front that I pretty much only picked this book to review because it had a hot cowboy on the cover. And he’s a bull rider. A super hot cowboy who likes to get up on bucking bulls and has to know how to gyrate his body to stay up there for at least 8 seconds. *wipes drool* Okay, now that that’s done…

Becca Hart is an English professor who has just lost her teaching position at Vassar due to budget cuts and when she gets home she finds her boyfriend moving out of her condo. After wallowing in her depression for several weeks, while living off her savings and looking for work, she is surprised to get a phone call from Oklahoma State University asking her to fly down to interview for an Associate Professor position. She never intended to apply for a job down south since she’s a New York girl, but her sister, Emma, goes behind her back and sends her resume anyway. Between the lure of a real job and her sister’s badgering she agrees to fly to Oklahoma with Emma and look into the position. Emma finds out that while they are in the area there will be a rodeo going on. They almost have to attend a rodeo while in Oklahoma right? Even if it’s just to mark it off their bucket lists. When that rodeo leads Becca to a all-night stand with a hot bull rider cowboy she never expects to see him again, that is until she meets some of the staff of OSU at a mixer and realizes her cowboy is also part of the faculty.

Becca wasn’t my favorite heroine when I first started reading, at the beginning she comes across as a stuck up bitch. For example she thinks things like this:

Maybe Tucker was just so far removed from any man she’d ever been attracted to before she was out of her comfort zone. It wasn’t like she could talk Chaucer’s Canterbury Tales, or Broadway shows with him.

It turns out she just needed to meet the right cowboy at a rodeo and get some good cowboy loving to turn her whole attitude around. Not kidding, the Becca from the first 70 or so pages disappears when she meets Tucker. Tucker sweeps her out of her nosebleed seats and down to the floor of the rodeo where all the action is, they flirt and eye each other while he’s schooling her on rodeo events. He introduces her to corn dogs and barrel racing and calf roping. He calls her Darlin’ and looks at her with an intensity that she hasn’t experienced with any other man. He’s so sexy that Becca decides to spend the night with him if she gets the chance.

Tucker is so taken with Becca when he first sees her up in the stands that he goes up and introduces himself. He’s not looking for a relationship, his ex-wife cheated on him when he was serving overseas in Afghanistan and he has no desire to let another woman mess with his emotions. He’s just fine with his rodeoing, teaching in the ROTC program at the University and chasing after buckle bunnies. Becca is different though, after their night together he can’t stop thinking about her even though he assumes he’s never going to see her again. When they meet up again several weeks later Tucker and Becca are still wildly attracted to each other and since neither are ready for a commitment they agree to a friends with benefits relationship.

I had my doubts in the first couple of chapters that I was going to enjoy this story, mainly because I didn’t like the heroine, BUT when Tucker walked onto the page I was smitten. Then as Tucker turned on his country boy charm Becca started to become a different character. Softer, sweeter, more open and easier to read. They have a smoking hot sexual relationship and Cat Johnson lets their friendship turn into a very believable romantic relationship. The conflict stems from the no fraternization policy the school has, this couple’s inability to stay away from each other and a choice Tucker makes. I thought his decision was a little extreme given where he ended up and what he had to go through to come out the other side, but it did bring this couple together. By the end I was kind of sad to say goodbye to Tucker and Becca.

I enjoyed my trip into hot cowboy land and am anxious to get back. Book two is about Emma and Tucker’s friend and boss Logan! Yea! I took to Emma right from the start and absolutely can’t wait to get her story. According to the author’s website Two Times as Hot comes out in September with a third book about Tucker’s friend Jace coming out next year. I will definitely be looking for both. Final Grade: B-

Favorite Quote:

The tiny circles he made with his hips teased her already sensitive clit, making her want more, until she felt him begin to grow and lengthen. He was getting hard again and she felt it with an intimacy she’d never even imagined, all right inside her.

She let out a moan. They should bottle whatever they fed these cowboys. They could sell it and make a fortune.

He broke the kiss and pulled back so she could see his face. “Ready for the next go-round?”

“Yes.”

1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read One Night with a Cowboy.

January 9, 2013 – Shelved