Graham Herrli's Reviews > A Project Guide to UX Design: For user experience designers in the field or in the making

A Project Guide to UX Design by Russ Unger

Jan 09, 2013

liked it
bookshelves: design-related, published-by-new-riders

This book is abysmally written. At points, it takes full pages to say what could easily have been expressed in a single sentence. The visuals make me want to gouge my eyes out. However, the content makes up for the terrible writing. This book contains numerous essential details of how a UX Designer fits into a work environment--what the workflow is, the roles of coworkers, what tasks need to be performed, and when, and how. This book scopes itself ambitiously, attempting to serve as a guidebook to the disparate groups of UX students, practitioners, and managers. As far as I can tell, it addresses the needs of all three groups.

It includes numerous call-outs of references for additional reading, categorized as "surfing," "snorkeling," or "deep diving" based on how long they'll take to read (and how in-depth they are). Judging by the ones I've read, these seem generally to be a good collection of resources.

The two authors bring different perspectives to bear upon the book. Chandler's chapters provide a great deal of information about the logistics of dealing with the business side of the job, what paperwork to complete and what meetings to hold. Unger's chapters focus more on how to interact with sample users and how to map out and test the site.

From inside the book:
(view spoiler)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Project Guide to UX Design.