Kelly Murray's Reviews > Capitalism: The Unknown Ideal

Capitalism by Ayn Rand

Mar 22, 2009

bookshelves: non-fiction
Read in May, 2009

This is the cherry that tops the Ayn Rand sundae I've been consuming for the past 2 1/2 years. Capitalism really is an unknown ideal, and it's a shame that it was never given an honest chance to fully manifest. What we have now is nowhere near capitalism- we're on a downward slippery slope to socialism...which I'm dreading more with each passing law. She had it right all along. I find it amazing that someone could be so dead-on in predicting what the future would be like if we had kept going in the direction towards collectivism (which we have). She was Orwellian in her foresight about the political/social/economic/moral future of this country and the world.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Capitalism.

03/08/2016 marked as: read

message 1: by Sharron (new)

Sharron If you want to see capitalism in pure form look at late 1920s America. How did that work out? People dropping dead on the side of the road. Socialism by comparison has never had a chance to prove its worth to humanity. Are you joking when you state you're heading toward collectivism......you don't even understand what that is is.

Bryan Socialism has never had a chance?!?!?! Soviet Russia, Mao's Communist China, Castro's Cuba, Nazi Germany, Kim's North Korea, etc., etc., etc. The problem is that someone has to direct/dictate in socialism and some people choose to exercise their humanity in any society. Socialism and humanity/individuality cannot peacefully coexist. This inevitably leads to bloody conflict EVERY time, and in every case, the individual loses.

The late 1920s were certainly not a period of capitalism in pure form. The prosperity under Harding and Coolidge (and the rapid ending of a Wilson induced recession) was largely due to the tax policy of Andrew Mellon and the pocket veto adeptly wielded by Calvin Coolidge to stop an overly interventionist congress. The mid-1920's were an era of unprecedented prosperity for everyone; especially the "common man" who saw their standard of living grow dramatically. Herbert Hoover (who Coolidge derisively referred to as "Wonderboy") was an engineer and a manager; brilliant in those capacities, but he thought he should manage everything. In the late 1920's, he tried to "manage" the economy to such an extreme that the economy collapsed. FDR came in and worsened the situation converting a typical recession into the greatest depression the world has ever seen.