Nan's Reviews > Instant Influence: How to Get Anyone to Do Anything--Fast

Instant Influence by Michael Pantalon

bookshelves: nonfiction, business-strategy

So far I've used this book to kickstart my job search and really do the tasks; help my mother-in-law articulate her real reasons for moving from her big house to an apartment (they aren't what we thought); and help a client organize his office. Now he's using the same technique to help his law clients discover their true motives for settling out of court, staying married, being civil to each other, etc. In my teaching days I could have used this to draw from students their own reasons why they wanted to learn, instead of telling them why they'd better--it would have saved me work and they'd have learned more.

Some reviewers question the repetition. I found it invaluable. Instant Influence may sound simple, but doing it effectively is NOT simple, at first. The author's true-life examples show you surprising venues where this works, and useful ways to customize it. The phrasing of the questions, the importance of WHY, the need to reflect back your client's words in positive ways--these aren't intuitive. You'll want practice.

And don't let the straightforward tone and cheesy cover fool you: we're talking profound human psychology here. Helping others help themselves change--which is what this lets you do--is bound to improve your character. If you crave recognition--if you're human--using this method will force you to suppress that ego so your "influencees" can hear their own motives to change. If you're in sales or consulting, the ego boost will come from your colleagues or boss--you don't have to be a saint. I suppose this method could be abused. (Do drug dealers read self-help books?) But so can water or air. Used in good faith, Instant Influence is a powerful tool for constructive change. Michael Pantalon deserves enormous credit for making his life's work so accessible to the rest of us.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Instant Influence.