Greg Correll's Reviews > Hope In Small Doses

Hope In Small Doses by Nikki Stern

Jan 08, 2013

This book started a drumbeat in my head. A modest steady beat, compared to the kettle drums of Bruno's deep passion for truth or the snare of Spinoza's soaring encapsulization of god or the finger-cymbals of Thich Nhat Hanh hyper-compassion. But Nikki stays with me as a fellow suffering human, a chipper thinker who sees the rest of us, the ones who struggle to remember hope, as hopers who just need a few reminders. It's an adult book for adults, by a writer of clean prose who knows, really knows, how to make a case and illustrate ideas.
She's not a features or styles section writer. She's a thinker who has a real life story, who has feet on the same earth as the rest of us. Her charm is a gift, it infuses her writing — but without her ordinary humanity this concise book would fail. She convinces by strength of gentle arguments and credible visions, because she is just like us.
As a man with Parkinsons, this means everything to me. I don't have a second to waste on happy talk. I trust Nikki's eloquent, plain-spoken truth that hope is a choice and an opportunity, if we allow it one careful handful at a time.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hope In Small Doses.

Finished Reading