Rock Peterson's Reviews > Allegiance

Allegiance by Timothy Zahn

M 50x66
Mar 22, 2009

As big a fan as I am of Star Wars, one thing I always had a problem with was the intentional dehumanization of the Imperial Troops. Most of course were nigh-faceless Stormtroopers, and many of the rank and file units were glossed over, leaving only the higher ranked officers who were portrayed as sniveling, overconfident, incompetent, and generally detached from any sense of "service" or "duty" (with the notable exceptions of Daine Jir, General Veers, and Captain/Admiral Piett). The Galactic Empire was often presented as having little function in the galaxy except for hunting the Rebel Alliance and allowing Vader to show how evil he was by killing his own men for any failure.

Allegiance however brings us a view of the galaxy and the ongoing struggle from the point of view of some of those same "faceless" Imperial Stormtroopers, who find themselves in an impossible situation, and are forced by circumstance and conscience to turn against the Empire they serve. These men are still the epitome of honorable soldiers though, and even when they are unable to continue in their assigned service, they continue on, seeking out the forces of chaos, lawlessness, and disorder, and bringing justice to the inhabitants that some in the Empire seem to have forgotten are under their care.

Timothy Zahn is consistently my favorite author in the Star Wars universe (though Karen Traviss is very close) and his previous works left me with high expectations for Allegiance, which does not disappoint in any way.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Allegiance.

06/29 marked as: read