Beth's Reviews > The Dive From Clausen's Pier

The Dive From Clausen's Pier by Ann Packer

F 50x66
Aug 23, 2007

did not like it

This book sucks. It had potential - the plot centers around the question of what we owe those we love. The main character is a girl engaged to a man who becomes a paraplegic just after their relationship goes sour. Potential for a good read, right? The problem is that this becomes a novel about a girl trying to become a fashion designer in NY and the paraplegic boyfriend is left in the dust after all of 90 pages. Then it's all about fashion, and BAD fashion at that. The author lost me when she described this up-and-coming young woman as finding a man's silver earring sexy (which would never happen), and then described her slowly unbuttoning her love interest's "thick denim shirt." Eww! This is a novel about NY fashion that was clearly written by an author who knows nothing about the topic. The characters are shallow, obvious, and undeveloped. I can't bring myself to waste any more time on it, so at page 300, I quit. Screw you, Ann Packer.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Dive From Clausen's Pier.

Finished Reading
August 23, 2007 – Shelved

Comments (showing 1-10)

dateUp arrow    newest »

message 10: by Tricia (last edited Aug 25, 2016 12:43PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Tricia I agree, I was really grossed out by her realtionship with the man in NY. Ann Packer got it all wrong with that.

Hannah I didn't hate this book with a passion, but I couldn't agree more about the bad fashion.

Sharon Your review made me laugh, so thanks. I read the book several years ago for book club and liked it. I will read it again with a more critical eye on the details you mentioned.

Hadil Barakat I absolutely hated reading this book. How many times can she "burst into tears" or "bust out crying". The main character was the least interesting character in the book. Very disappointing!

message 6: by Katrina (new)

Katrina Stonoff ROFL! I wanted to quit at page 200 but felt I had put too much into it to stop. I've regretted it ever since finally finishing the book last night. I'm with you.

Sharehan Widdi All these negative comments on here are for the sheer fact that the ending wasn't what you were looking for. But isn't this life? Not everything you want happens and in this book it is conveyed very well. Yes she did have the choice but her choice was weighed down by her guilt. I loved this book because It provoked a feeling of sadness and by the end a bit of anger or even both. But this is why I thought the book was a success.

Paola Peña I actually liked this book but I totally agree about the fashion. The stuff she makes sounds awful.

Stella Lee I agree and the main character is really bland and uninteresting. Bad fashion choices for sure.

Jamie Dreschel Kennedy I hated the fashion too. It kinda sad that it was so bad that it made so many people not like the book! Not accurate on the style at all

Ashley Tell us how you really feel... LOL! I was really puzzled by the "fashion" too.