Heather's Reviews > 78 Reasons Why Your Book May Never Be Published and 14 Reasons Why Itjust Might

78 Reasons Why Your Book May Never Be Published and 14 Reason... by Pat Walsh

Mar 21, 2009

liked it
bookshelves: writing
Recommended for: aspiring writers

This was a three-star ("liked it") book for me mainly because it didn't suck me in . . . but that is not to say that it isn't a very important book. It's time to take all of the feel-good compliments that the people who love you give about your writing and wake up to the real world.

The number one reason that Pat Walsh, an editor at MacAdam/Cage, gives that your book will never be published is that you have not written it. Talk is cheap, and writing is very difficult.

Throughout the book, Mr. Walsh gives great advice on avoiding the pitfalls of the publishing industry (and the ones that we writers create in our own heads). The most valuable tidbits I got from it are: write as though you are writing to a stranger (if you're constantly worrying about what your family will think of your story, there's no way it will be honest), revise your book before you try to get it published (even if you have to re-write the whole thing), and take yourself and your work seriously (but not so seriously that you think your writing makes you the King of the Universe).

Sometimes negative feedback is the best feedback you can get about your writing, because it's the only feedback that is going to help you improve it. You have to be willing to step back and experience rejection for what it is--an opportunity to do better.

That said, he ends the book on a positive note, saying that no matter how hard writing and getting published is, it is definitely worth it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read 78 Reasons Why Your Book May Never Be Published and 14 Reasons Why Itjust Might.

Quotes Heather Liked

“We do not like the truth because it is simple, we do not want the truth because it is hard, and we do not trust the truth because it is free.

Perhaps because many are idealists and publishing is so frustrating, writers are particularly vulnerable to believing in those who offer hope in exchange for cash. Writers know life is tough and we all want to think of an easier way. Maybe for a rare few, there is. If you count on that, you are a chump and somebody is going to take your money and break your heart.”
Pat Walsh, 78 Reasons Why Your Book May Never Be Published and 14 Reasons Why Itjust Might

“You have made some notes, read some writing books, and done some research. Mostly what you've done is talk about writing a book. An idea for a book is not a book; it is a waste of time. There is no singular thing that makes someone a writer, but there is one thing that makes someone a joke--talking about writing a book without doing any work.”