Mel's Reviews > Warm Bodies

Warm Bodies by Isaac Marion

liked it
Read 2 times. Last read January 18, 2013 to January 26, 2013.

Fleshies! Boneys! Living! Dead!

Warm Bodies was my first venture into the zombie-lit genre, and I must say, although I was grossed out at times, I survived the experience.
R is a Zombie. Living in the ruins of a former airport, and feasting on the brains of Living, he is trying to make sense of his existence, since he has no memory of his past.

On a hunt to feed his insatiable hunger, R eats the brains Perry Kelvin, a Living teenager who has barricade himself and his girlfriend, Julie, against the onslaught of a zombie attack. But instead of turning his vengeance against Julie as well, R, who is now experiencing Perry’s memories, life and feelings intimately, saves Julie from certain death.

What proceeds from their first encounter, results in the possibility of R and Julie saving what is left of civilization and the planet.

Isaac Marion has created a brilliant story around a bleak existence. R becomes sympathetic and soulful; Julie indestructible and compassionate. In the hands of the author, their entire relationship and existence rings of authenticity.

And the ending gave hope to the notion that we must do better to love our neighbors and learn to accept those who may differ from us.

Apart from the excessive language and the gruesomeness, I enjoyed this novel. Surprisingly enough!

The movie, Warm Bodies, opens in theatres this Friday. I’m going with my Ladies of Literature book club – can’t wait to see it!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Warm Bodies.

Finished Reading (Other Paperback Edition)
January 7, 2013 – Shelved
January 18, 2013 – Started Reading
January 23, 2013 –
page 100
39.06% "Lots of brain eating."
January 26, 2013 – Finished Reading
January 27, 2013 – Shelved (Other Paperback Edition)

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

Marla This was a really different zombie story. What do you think? I didn't love it, but I am interested in seeing the movie.

message 2: by Mel (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mel This is my first zombie-lit experience -- it's our book club choice, and I just started it today. We are reading it, then going to the movie -- I'll let you know what I think when I'm done!!