Feminista's Reviews > S.E.C.R.E.T.

S.E.C.R.E.T. by L. Marie Adeline

bookshelves: arc, contemporary-romance

Rating: 4 out of 5

S.E.C.R.E.T. by L. Marie Adeline

Warning: this is not a love story.

For those who have picked up the book, thinking to read a nice erotic romance, beware that this is not a love story. There is erotica, there is romance, but you may be disappointed if you expect something more. This is about a woman’s sexual emancipation.

The protagonist Cassie is a 35-ish year old woman whose husband of 14 years died a bit more than 5 years ago, and she is finding it hard to find herself after years of unhappy/mediocre marriage. For a woman who had only ever been with one man – the deceased, sometimes abusive and unhappy husband – she takes extraordinary steps to become more empowered and this she does through freeing herself sexually.

All this starts with a journal that’s been accidentally left at the café Cassie works in. When she reads bits and pieces of it, she is surprised and shocked to read what the content is about. When she gives back the journal, she is approached by a woman who offers her a card and an offer to join the club. This introduces her to a world that brings back her confidence, trust and love in herself.

There were many things I liked about the book. Things that had to do with her fantasies and just funny snippets that made me laugh out aloud. For example, I loved how Adeline describes Cassie’s five years of celibacy like it is a living thing. She compares it to a dog following her around, like Five Years slinked down the road behind me. Five Years lay down at my feet during my date... It was so amusing.

I also liked the ending. I liked how Adeline did something so out of the blue, and that she did so with no sequels waiting. It made this book different for me. Different from all the other contemporary romances and erotica. Having said that, I’d understand why other may feel dissatisfied with the ending. But for me, the ending fit in perfectly with the idea of her not being so dependent on someone else. I felt like she had to enjoy this power she has over herself away from S.E.C.R.E.T. before she could truly be happy with someone in her life.

ARC courtesy of NetGalley and Crown Publishing.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read S.E.C.R.E.T..

January 7, 2013 – Shelved