Katie's Reviews > The Color Purple

The Color Purple by Alice Walker

Mar 20, 2009

Before I read this book I was going to read Roots for my English project. Then halfway through it I realized
I wasn’t going to be able to finish it in time. Pathetic right? So my mom looked up this book and said that I
would like it, plus I would be able to finish it. At first I was a little nervous to read a book that my MOM
recommended, so I asked my friends about it. Some had heard of it, but never read or seen it. Others
praised it. So eventually I gave in and bought the book. As soon as I opened to the first page I was
immediately hooked. At first I was a little disturbed, but I think that is what Alice Walker was trying to
portray. The way Mrs. Walker writes defiantly moved me. I could feel all the emotions Celie was feeling
through out the entire book. I cried, got angry, and then cried like a baby again at the end. The book was
so amazing that just now as I was looking for quotes I found myself reading it over again. I had to force
myself to keep my mind on my work. The way she puts God in it is surprising. Writing to God? Honestly I
have never heard of doing that. The plot is great and very captivating, though there are some parts I felt
like skipping. They sometimes got a little slow, but they did hold information that was needed for the
story line. The best part of the book in my opinion is when Celie began to question God so she put her
trust in her sister whom she didn't know if she was dead or alive. It affected me a lot at that time because
that was how I was a couple years back. I didn’t know who to trust or anything. Reading this brought back
a lot of memories. But anyway, the book is a must read for all above the ages of 12.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Color Purple.