Sarah Whisted's Reviews > Easy

Easy by Tammara Webber

bookshelves: books-i-own

I didn't really have high expectations when I started this book, especially with the first pages involving rape. Not exactly the way I like to start books.

The primary reason behind even getting this book was because of it's "New Adult" category. I hear a lot of differing opinions on this new genre and wanted to see first hand what it's all about. I'll say this in regards the negative comments I've heard about it stating that "it's really just an excuse to put graphic sex into a YA book" - I do not agree at all. It was what I hoped it'd be, featuring kids in college making freshly adult decisions and making college aged mistakes. There was a little more detailed foreplay in the reading, but the sex itself wasn't even described, just alluded to. I'm not sure an entire category of writing needs to be created for college aged kids, but if YA isn't prepared to include them and they're not quite adults yet, then I think "New Adult" should be a good market and I look forward to seeing other books flourish in this category.

As for the story itself, it seems strange that just days after having a discussion on gratuitous rape in books with an author I greatly admire, that I would find myself reading a book where rape is largely at the heart of the story, not just the opening scene. At first it felt unnecessary and I felt myself agreeing with this author that it was just being used as a way to break the female lead down and give her angst. But as the story progressed and the consequences of this opening moment became something completely unexpected and that other characters had a rape laced history themselves, it became obvious the point of this story was to draw attention to it - on purpose - not just to be used as a way to break the heroin down, but to teach the reader a lesson. I appreciated the power that even the men in this cast wanted to instill in the women, teaching them self-defense, encouraging them to report the incidents, and making sure they knew it WASN'T their fault. I think overall, it covered a rough topic in a way that might help someone currently living a rape nightmare come out about it and find peace over the matter in time.

In addition to this moral, a really pleasant love story exists between strangers. I think initially I liked the idea of Lucas's character, but his first interactions with Jacqueline were stiff and awkward. I'm glad that as the relationship developed, the character in person opened up more like the character in text/email. I fell in-love with this pair in a way you do for TV characters you look forward to seeing every week on a sitcom and felt myself hoping for them to have a promising future as if they weren't just fictional people.

Overall, I'm pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed this book, when I had little expectations for it. I think the title is unappealing (Easy for "New Adult" feels like a trashy title when it's nothing even close to trashy) and I think the blurbs on the back make it seem like you're about to read some stalker story with characters who can't exist without each other in the likes of Edward and Bella (Twilight) which is not the case at all. I think that without recommendation for this specific book, I would have never wandered into a bookstore and chose it and that's a shame because it really was great.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Easy.

January 7, 2013 – Shelved
January 7, 2013 – Shelved as: books-i-own
January 19, 2013 – Started Reading
January 20, 2013 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)

Rebecca This is one of my faves! Good romance with twist and turns all based around a serious issue. I hope you enjoy!!

Sarah Whisted Rebecca wrote: "This is one of my faves! Good romance with twist and turns all based around a serious issue. I hope you enjoy!!"

As you can see by my review, I definitely enjoyed it!

Rebecca I felt exactly the same in the very beginning about the issue of rape. I almost didn't want to read on thinking oh this isn't going to go well, but it was a very good story! This book didn't give explicit details of sex but just enough to push the YA limits. But I think the issue also pushed the book into the new adult category. I was pleasantly surprised to like this book as much as I did, glad I picked it up! And as you can tell from the books I read I like the new adult and ya books! Can't help it but I love living through another's words! College just flew by for me with little drama, so now I get to read about it. He he he.