Shannon's Reviews > Companions of the Night

Read from June 10 to 12, 2013

** spoiler alert ** Read #3
Started on June 10, 2013
Finished on June 12, 2013

2013 Update: I just have to add that Companions of the Night truly stands the test of time for me. It seems like I re-read it almost every year now, and I never finish the book with that bittersweet "oh, teenager Shannon... you loved some cheesy stuff in your time" contemplation that typically occurs when you try to read something you enjoyed when you were younger. (Hopefully that makes sense...) I find it remarkable that I still love this book as much as I did when I first picked it up.

(I will say, however, this time, I found myself calling Ethan a jackass more than usual, lol.)

Original Review:

I probably love this book more than any other vampire-related book I've ever read. Of course, this might be because it was one of the first books I read that involved vampires, but all the same... I love this book!

It's one of the few where I believe the author writes the vampires so convincingly. Out of all the vampire-related literature I've come across (and believe me, I've read a lot), Ethan is still honestly up there as one of my favorite vampire characters -- he's so devious, completely charming, and very off-putting all simultaneously (it's quite amazing). You literally have no idea if you should trust him up until the very end. To me, Ethan is almost like a rogue CIA agent, just because he never really reveals the extent of his vampire nature, or his past for that matter. He's very mysterious. And then he has the ability to get rid of dead bodies, lol.

The end... of course... is disappointing because it's so abrupt. You don't see Ethan and Kerry's relationship play out, and then there's the fact that Vivian has yet to write a sequel (something I'm still a tiny bit bitter about). I'm certainly hopeful, but I checked out her website and she explains:
As much as I enjoy all (well, most of) my characters, once I finish a story, I want to move on to other people in other situations. Once a book has been published and out for a while, with readers deciding for themselves what happens after the end of the story, it hardly seems fair for the author to come back and say, Nope, you're all wrong--THIS is what happened next.

Besides that, one of the reasons I became a writer was because I enjoyed mentally writing sequels to books I didn't want to end. (Or I made up new endings for stories I felt ended the wrong way.)

Definitely read it if you're a fan of paranormal YA.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Companions of the Night.

Quotes Shannon Liked

Vivian Vande Velde
“If you don't like vampire games, don't play”
Vivian Vande Velde, Companions of the Night