C.G. Drews's Reviews > Scarlet

Scarlet by Marissa Meyer

bookshelves: dystopian, young-adult, 5-star, read-2013, retelling, sci-fi

I am a Lunartic. With that statement (and knowledge of the shiny 5-star badge), you probably don’t need the rest of the review. But, I’ll add it in. Just in case.

THE CAST WAS FREAKING AWESOME! I won’t lie, Cinder is still my favourite, but with the additions of Scarlet, Wolf, and Thorne…I’ve died and gone to best-written-characters-ever heaven. I laughed at Thorne. At the end, I kept having to put the book down while I gasped for air after laughing (that’s what I call the noise anyway) so hard. Thorne is a ladies man, pretty, full of himself and downright hilarious. He was such a contrast to Kai, and even Wolf, that I couldn’t help loving him. Kai? He still bothered me. Especially at the end. He needs a huge slap, because obviously Cinder and him are meant to be (am I shipping here?) and he’s missing it! Wolf? Okay, I admit! I’m a big fan of the “bad boy”. Wolf was so shy and, yes, gentle, but such a downright bad boy (there was a moment I saw red and hated him) that obviously I’m a fan. Being a split narrative, we were in Scarlet’s head a lot of the time. I have mixed feelings about Scarlet. She was always in character – impatient, impulsive and rash – but she lacked the reserved strength of Cinder. As a character, she was written to perfection. But as for me relating with her? I didn’t.

Being a sequel, the plot spins off where we left CINDER – literally where we left. Most of the chapters are from Scarlet, which isn’t bad, but I gobbled everything by Cinder. Paired with Thorne, her chapters were to die for – but Scarlet had Wolf, making her just as interesting. I smelt a rat (sorry for the pun) when Wolf didn’t know what a tomato was…but I never saw the plot twist coming.

Speaking of plot twists, this book is loaded! And they’re perfect. There are just enough gob-smacking moments to make me in love with every page, and in full awe of the author. Marissa Meyer is a master. Her remake of Little Red Riding Hood was perfect – down to the mutants, and Scarlet’s fiery red hair, to the glamouring and the Grandma. I am in awe, people, that’s all I can say.

I wanted to give the book a 4-star, because I didn’t see eye-to-eye with Scarlet and (in my opinion) there wasn’t enough Cinder. But, myself is fighting with me, and it got the 5-star sticker because it was, truly, breathtaking. I squeak whenever I think about it.

I NEED CRESS.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Scarlet.

Quotes C.G. Liked

Marissa Meyer
“I don’t see that her being cyborg is relevant.”

Marissa Meyer
“Scarlet and Wolf are saying gushy things in the galley," Iko said. "Normally I like gushy things, but its different when its real people. I prefer the net dramas.”

“I don't compute.”