Renetta's Reviews > Renhala

Renhala by Amy Joy Lutchen

bookshelves: i-blame-karen, indie, favorite-reads, quest, kindle-read

My head is spinning from everything in this book. I loved it all! Loved it!

Review soon...

It's hard to write this review because I liked the book so much I just want to tell the whole story! I think I got it now...

It starts with something terrible that happens to the protagonist, Kailey, and she lets out a scream heard round the world. Not only ours but also Renhala. Something is wakened and its not good, both realms are in danger. Our realm is called Abscondia and true to reality we are the realm with all of the technology. Renhala is the opposite of this. They fear technology and want no part of it. They rely more on magic, which obviously is way more cool!

I love the authors imagination as they travel to new areas of the magical Renhala. They meet new creatures along the way and some join them on their journey. There's stinky, gooey, sweet Bu and Jenna the mischievous Woodsprite. Also, Cheeto a pregnant raccoon type animal, giant rabbits, moon cats and more!

There is an interesting love triangle which is by no means the focus of this adventure but is fun to watch unfold.

Neda and Velopa represent the balance of Renhala. I like when Neda talked about everyone's magic and their connection to the earth. She explains that our technology interferes with our ability to connect to everything around us and scrambles our intuition. Intended or not I found an underlying allegory in this story that I connected with.

The story was so well put together considering how much was really going on. We got to know enough about the characters so I didn't lose track of who anyone was. Their personalities all shone through so I connected well with them. There was unexpected surprises, twists and turns and some fun banter between them that had me giggling.

Lastly... where can I get an Everything Bag?! I seriously could use one of those!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Renhala.

January 6, 2013 – Shelved
April 1, 2013 – Started Reading
May 12, 2013 – Shelved as: i-blame-karen
August 11, 2013 –
15.0% "hehehe :)"
August 13, 2013 –
31.0% "Lemon Worcestershire Sauce? Dijon potatoes? Nom I want the recipes! So hungry now I have to go raid the kitchen."
August 15, 2013 –
August 23, 2013 –
89.0% "Pins and needles! Why oh why do I have to go to work now?!"
August 26, 2013 –
91.0% "White Castle and Boones Farm? I would actually like that! :) Jalapeño cheeseburgers (since they got rid of the A-1 Slider, of which, I have emailed them about this issue) and Strawberry Hill! This book keeps making me hungry."
August 26, 2013 – Finished Reading