Chris Huff's Reviews > The Brothers Karamazov

The Brothers Karamazov by Fyodor Dostoyevsky

Recommended to Chris by: seminary professors
Recommended for: those who like philosophy, theology, and crime novels
Read 2 times. Last read October 30, 2019.

From the day I picked up this book, my wife began to tell me, "You're never going to finish it." But as long as the book is, it never became a chore to read. The author told his story perfectly.

I should note that I had no expectations of this book. I heard about it from a few seminary professors who referenced various conversations in the book pertaining to God or ethics. So I knew the novel included those kinds of things, but I didn't know to what extent. Although it is truly a novel in that it tells an engaging story from beginning to end, themes about God's existence, the purpose of life, and human behavior are masterfully weaved throughout the novel.

I was only slightly disappointed in the novel in the end. I don't want to give away anything, so I will only say that some characters and themes were built up only to have been let down. Perhaps the author would have written more about these things in his promised second novel (which was never written due to his death).

Regardless, The Brothers Karamozov is still as relevant today as it was when it written over a hundred years ago. I highly recommend it.

***EDIT***

After reading this a second time (or, rather, listening to it this time), I stand by my first review. I will say, however, that I thought certain parts dragged on more than they perhaps should have. But I think that's probably more my fault than the fault of the author. Or, perhaps, it's just because I knew where the story was going, so it was less engaging. But I'll also say that other parts are some of the best writing I've read. I'll likely come back to this novel again for a third time at some point. It really is that good.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Brothers Karamazov.

March 19, 2009 – Shelved
Started Reading
June 30, 2010 – Finished Reading
Started Reading
October 30, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)

message 1: by Tracy (new)

Tracy Hi Chris, I'm reading this too! How far into it are you?

Chris Huff Lol, the very beginning. I started it years ago, put a bookmark where I left off, and haven't gotten back around to it. I'm about to finish my current read though, so maybe I'll pick it back up rather than start the one I was planning on starting (The Tipping Point).

Joshua This is one of my all-time favorite books. “The Grand Inquisition” alone makes it worth it. Crime and Punishment is great but this one is just a little better.

Chris Huff Yes, that's one of the best parts for sure!