C.G. Drews's Reviews > The Archived

The Archived by Victoria Schwab

Jan 06, 2013

bookshelves: 5-star, read-2016, young-adult, paranormal

Oh yes hello, I think I am thoroughly doomed to adore everything written by Schwab. Everything omg. This book was incredible. It's so unique and the writing just hit me and the characters were all tortured and adorable and somewhat sassy -- AND QUITE FOND OF BAKED GOODS -- so basically I am Schwab trash and not even sad about it.

Also I hear the 3rd book is like...never ever coming out??? SLAY ME. (I ordered the sequel though, so let me read that, and then slay me.)

What really REALLY hit me (omg violent little book) was how unique the story was! It's like a library but for DEAD PEOPLE. And sometimes the dead people escape and wonder around these dark hallways (kind of like purgatory I guess?) and they must have Keepers to haul 'em back to deadness. Meet Keeper = Mackenzie Bishop. She's such a tortured soul and I totally liked her. But you know what I liked even more? THE MAGICNESS AND THE LIBRARY AND THE DEAD PEOPLE. It was all creepy and vaguely dark and I could totally see it as a Tim Burton movie playing out in my head. A+++ basically.

And the characters?! Precious little mites. Like I said: TORTURED. When you're a Keeper your life is like (A) lying to everyone because they can't know about your Other Life Chasing Dead People Back To Their Shelves, and (B) you get memories from things you touch, so no touchee to anyone, which makes things lonely, and (C) apparently you have an automatic ginormous need for baked goods. Loving it.

So apart from Mackenzie (who narrates in 1st person), she meets Wes who is a smooth-talking and slightly goth dude who got a book thrown at his head, caught it, and carried on a conversation about muffins at the same time. I'm 10000% a gonner and in love. And later on Mackenzie meets Owen in the purgatory-sort-of-place and he is equally mystery and tortured. SO I AM A FAN.

Um...I suppose you could say there's a love triangle?? But it doesn't feel like one because Mackenzie is suffering from SERIOUS GRIEF over the death of her brother and she's not in the kissing mood. #thankgoodness So there are 2 boys. There are attractions. There are plot twists (HUGE!! PLOT!! TWISTS!!) involving both boys. (And I also love both boys. So there you go.) (view spoiler)

I suppose you could say everything is just glorious. It just ticked sooooo many boxes for me. Mackenzie was withdrawn, but not emotionless and she was easy to connect to. And the world took me a little while to get the hang of, but THEN I WAS THERE and it was so so vivid. Plus I just love the idea of a library of dead people. Seriously. Love. This is amazing. Why did I not read this earlier? (Spoiler: because I'm an idiot.)

Althoooough I maintain the BEST Schwab books are A Darker Shade of Magic series.

You probably definitely completely need this one in your life. I have so many questions I AM DYING FOR THE SEQUEL. And I just loved being emerged in Schwab's style of writing again. I adored the plot twists! The aesthetics! The humour!! AND DEFINITELY THE FOOD. (It was partially set in a cafe omg.) I'm just going t leave this quote here and be happy:
"Hey," he says, knocking his shoe playfully against mine. "It's the same for me, you know? This is all new to me. And I'm not going anywhere. It takes at least three assassination attempts to scare me off. And even then, if there are baked goods involved, I might come back."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Archived.

January 6, 2013 – Shelved
August 15, 2016 – Started Reading
August 15, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read
August 15, 2016 –
page 101
31.46% "So far I've never rated a Schwab book below 5stars! LET'S SEE HOW THIS GOES."
August 16, 2016 –
page 291
90.65% "Who is stressing out so much and needs to take a break before the last pages???\nMEEEEEEEE."
August 16, 2016 – Shelved as: 5-star
August 16, 2016 – Shelved as: read-2016
August 16, 2016 – Shelved as: young-adult
August 16, 2016 – Shelved as: paranormal
August 16, 2016 – Finished Reading

Mishma YOU READ IT!!!!! I TOLD YOU YOU'D LOVE IT! MY MISSION IS DONE! I AM A HAPPY BOOKWORM! *dances around sprinkling confetti*

C.G. Drews @Mishma: OF COOOOOURSE. I HAD NO DOUBTS. I'm ashamed I took so long to read it though ahhaha. XDXD

Catarina (TravelerBetweenWorlds) This book gives me all the feels and Wes... I hope you like the next book as well because oh my... :D
I read a early update of yours of this book and I got the feeling that you weren't liking this book. I'm so glad I was wrong and you love it !!
Awesome review btw!

Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘ Book 2 gives a certain sense of closure.... But not enough. I'm still hoping for a third book someday. Great review!

C.G. Drews @Catarina: omg my update sounded like I didn't like it?!? FAIL TO MY UPDATE. I've loved it from page 1. :D

@Alienor: Eep, I'm glad it gives some closure then. I think I would just collapse howling if it was a cliffhanger!

Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘ Cait (Paper Fury) wrote: "@Catarina: omg my update sounded like I didn't like it?!? FAIL TO MY UPDATE. I've loved it from page 1. :D

Right?! Oh, and there is a free short novella that takes place just after book 2 too :)

Catarina (TravelerBetweenWorlds) Cait (Paper Fury) wrote: "@Catarina: omg my update sounded like I didn't like it?!? FAIL TO MY UPDATE. I've loved it from page 1. :D"

Oh that's even better!!! Can't wait for your thoughts at The Unbound :D

message 9: by Hannah (new) - added it

Hannah Rodriguez Didn't read the review for spoilers BUT A LIBRARY OF DEAD PEOPLE GAHHHHH THIS SOUNDS AMAZINGLY CREATIVE. (I'm not evil guys :p)
I'm checking to see if my library has this

message 10: by Mariya (new)

Mariya Awesome! I am currently reading this and while Schwab is genius and I had no doubts going into this book, I'm glad to see you liked it :) I seem to have very similar tastes to yours and your reviews are always helpful :D

message 11: by C.G. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.G. Drews @Hannah: My review has no spoilers. :)

@Mariya: Omg that is so cool that we have similar tastes!! *hi fives* Which means we have EPIC TASTES IN BOOKS CLEARLY.

Lexie YAAAAAAAAAAAAS! While one Lexie found plenty of reasons to mention this book to you (and the world at large), the other was cringing going STAHP TALKING IT UP.

Glad to find one of me is wrong. And even gladder that it was Lexie #2. #evillexie

(view spoiler)

NAO ONTO THE UNBOUND!

Bee {Quite the Novel Idea} I haven't read the second book yet, but I adored this one! Schwab is life basically. I did hear (from her, on twitter) that she's working on book 3 so I'm thinking maybe she'll self-pub it or something?

Lexie @Bee {Quite the Novel Idea} Victoria is self-publishing #3, yes! YOUR UNDERCOVER SOURCES ARE CORRECT! In fact, Cait, she mentioned it in the 'slow pursuit of overnight success' Tumblr post you linked to me recently. FEAR NOT, FELLOW SCHWABISTS! THERE'S HOPE YET!

Someday far, far from today, when she isn't juggling 55 projects while pursuing a master's degree, singlehandedly conquering the Holy Roman Empire, taming wyverns, and inventing a new alphabet.

Selah Pike I knew you'd love it! Book 2 is even better! There's also a short story from Wes's POV that comes after The Unbound. I REALLY hope Schwab writes the 3rd book!

message 16: by C.G. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.G. Drews @Lexie: Omg (view spoiler)

@Bee: YAY THERE WILL BE A BOOK 3. GOOD. I feel like I'll need the closure? XD

@Selah: I cannot waaaait for my order of bk 2 to arrive! And I just heard the short story is free?!? I will be needing that immediately.

Selah Pike Yes, it's on Schwab's blog. Seriously though, don't read it before The Unbound, because spoilers:

message 18: by Pia (new) - rated it 4 stars

Pia Hi Cait :) I've been wanting to read a Victoria Schwab's book for a while but I'm not sure which one should I pick first, all her books sounds great and have good reviews!! would you recomend me to start with this one?

Thanks for the review!

message 19: by C.G. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.G. Drews @Selah: omg thank you for the link!! I shall resist clicking it until I've read the Unbound!

@Pia: OMG READ THEM ALL AT ONCE. haha. Ahem. Okay, so my favourite is A Darker Shade of Magic which is adult fantasy, but the one I read first was Vicious which reads more like a standalone so is a good place to start too! I think those are both better than the Archived? But the Archived is still, obviously, 5-stars XD. So basically read them all.

message 20: by Pia (new) - rated it 4 stars

Pia @Pia: OMG READ THEM ALL AT ONCE. haha. Ahem. Okay, so my favourite is [book:A Darker Shade of Magic|220..."

xD Then probably I should start with Vicious?

I think I'm going to read them all anyway, even if I don't like Vicious because everyone seems to like the author so I should give her the chance with more than just one book (I have the feeling that I''m going to like it though).

Thanks for the advice!

message 21: by C.G. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.G. Drews @Pia: oh I always read more than one book by an author too!! Just in case! *hi fives* I so hope you love Schwab though. :')