Susanna's Reviews > On The Holloway Road

On The Holloway Road by Andrew Blackman

1762091

bookshelves: read-in-2009

First of all I must confess I never heard of Jack Kerouac's novel, so I don't have that as a point for comparison. I was also a bit worried that the novel held a very English point of view that I would be unable to relate to, but it wasn't the case. I was hooked from page one.

The writing is excellent and the characters of Jack and Neil are very believable (Jack more or, but then again I'm a bit of Jack myself so I am more prone to believe what I am familiar with). Having just finished the book I feel I've been on a road trip with these two.

What I learned from this book is that it doesn't matter where we're born: be it in London (that was always my dream place; the ideal place to live) or a small village in Portugal in the middle of nowhere, people are all the same and want similar things. Jack felt as claustrophic in London as I did in my village. It's probably more to do with who we are than where we are.

I can see Andrew Blackman becoming one of the most respected British writers.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read On The Holloway Road.

March 19, 2009 – Shelved
April 22, 2009 –
page 75
April 22, 2009 –
page 75
37.13% "want to read more but no time. argh."
April 25, 2009 –