Nancy McKibben's Reviews > Dorothy L. Sayers: The Complete Stories

Dorothy L. Sayers by Dorothy L. Sayers

bookshelves: mystery, favorites, reviewed
Recommended for: fans of Dorothy L. Sayers and British mysteries
Read 2 times. Last read January 3, 2013 to January 4, 2013.

The Complete Stories
By Dorothy L. Sayers

In addition to the Lord Peter Wimsey mystery novels, Sayers wrote two collections of short stories about him, Lord Peter Views the Body and Hangman’s Holiday, which are part of this anthology. They have intriguing titles such as “The Abominable History of the Man with Copper Fingers” and “The Undignified Melodrama of the Bone of Contention” and the stories are as much fun as their titles. Of particular interest are the last two stories, “The Haunted Policeman”, which takes place on the occasion of the birth of Lord Peter’s and wife Harriet’s first son, and “Talboys”, in which Lord Peter and his eldest son solve a mystery and get into mischief.

Sayers’s other fictional detective, the travelling salesman Montague Egg, appears here in his own set of eleven stories. I admit that Egg’s travels as a wine salesman provide many opportunities for investigating murders, and he is a clever man, but I can’t warm to his character as I have to Lord Peter.

The remaining twelve stories are also well-written and inventive, and well worth reading if you like mystery stories and/or Sayers, but I freely admit that the Lord Peter stories are my favorites.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dorothy L. Sayers.

Finished Reading