Nicole G.'s Reviews > My Dark Vanessa

My Dark Vanessa by Kate Elizabeth Russell

bookshelves: 2022, contemporary-fiction

CW: the whole novel is about grooming a young girl, essentially, so reader discretion and all that

An interesting juxtaposition, I suppose, reading this right after Nightcrawling.

This is a very uncomfortable read, like Lolita, which, like the author (and our fictional protagonist), I also first encountered as a teenager (I always read ahead of my grade). I have the same copy, actually, that's described in the book, with the image of the knobby knees and saddle shoes. It made me a bit uncomfortable, in ways I couldn't properly articulate then. This wasn't romantic, that was for damned sure.

My Dark Vanessa will also make you uncomfortable, but in this case, you are experiencing the plot through the point of view of our female protagonist, who is fifteen at the start of the book. Who really knows their own mind at that age? You think you might, but the mental maturity isn't quite there yet. And the fallout follows her for decades, the struggle within herself. Is she really a victim if she was a willing participant? she thinks.

Of course, many would say yes, for the reason described above - as mature as you think you are, as much as you wanted it, you are still a child.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My Dark Vanessa.

September 4, 2022 – Shelved as: to-read