Nikki 's Reviews > Introducing Mindfulness: A Practical Guide

Introducing Mindfulness by Tessa Watt

bookshelves: health, non-fiction

I've been doing mindfulness-related stuff -- meditation, yoga -- for a long time, but I'd never read specifically about mindfulness. If you've done yoga and meditation before, there's very little new in it, but it's a helpful reminder to slow down and really taste, touch, smell, hear, see things. It's an easy read -- as befits an introductory, practical guide -- and easy to absorb, with lots of practical advice and careful explanation of what you're "meant" to do.

Since it's practical, it's very unfluffy about it -- if you feel like mindfulness/meditation/etc is kind of a hippy thing to do, this probably won't dissuade you at first glance, but it doesn't make it sound mystical or anything like that.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Introducing Mindfulness.

January 5, 2013 – Shelved
January 12, 2013 – Started Reading
January 12, 2013 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)

Nikki Hmm. To me, it answers the questions mentioned in your review, but what is a satisfying answer to me and to you might be quite different. Basically it talks a lot about experiencing the world as it is, rather than wasting time wishing it was the past/future. It's also a pretty practical guide, so it's not really answering metaphysical questions as such -- and I'm not a beginner.

Nikki No, I don't; I was taught to meditate by actual Buddhist monks, in person, and get most of my information online now.

message 3: by Neil (new)

Neil A Comprehensive Manual of Abhidhamma The Abhidhammatha Sangaha of Ācariya Anuruddha. This book discusses the psychology of meditation.