Sara's Reviews > Medicus

Medicus by Ruth Downie

Jan 05, 2013

it was ok
Read from January 06 to 11, 2013 — I own a copy

Weeeeell...I liked it enough to keep reading but I expected more.
The pace was excruciatingly slow for the first two-thirds of the book. But then, what can you do, when the main characters are master and slave determined not to relate to each other as human beings for their own separate reasons. Medicus Ruso is preoccupied with his work, his spendthrift family in southern Gaul, and the puzzle of two "slaves" unwillingly working as prostitutes who turn up dead. Then there's the administrator Priscus who knows how to squeeze blood out of a turnip, the turnip in this case being Ruso...not that he has much money since he's always paying to get someone else out of a jam. He's likeable, yes, but in a way that doesn't make for the best reading.
Slave Darlughdacha of the Brigantes, otherwise known as Tilla, is determined not to speak for the longest time, and when she finally speaks, it's mistrustfully.
By the VERY END of the book, they have figured out that they are important to each other, but it is a torturous journey. The plot does pick up toward the end when numerous threads come together and characters begin to actually interact.
I liked the historical setting...but I might have stopped reading if I had not been focused on another project and so was OK with a non-pageturner...
Not sure I will read any more of these.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Medicus.