Kate's Reviews > That Mad Ache & Translator, Trader: An Essay on the Pleasantly Pervasive Paradoxes of Translation

That Mad Ache & Translator, Trader by Françoise Sagan

bookshelves: france, europe

I'm obsessed with a French film from the 1960's called La Chamade. Catherine Denevue, Paris, an Yves St. Laurent Wardrobe... it's gorgeous, sophisticated and stylish. When I found out there was a book upon which the film was based, I ordered it right away.

This is the story of a kept woman who holds on to her carefree adolescence (and avoids taking responsibility for her life) by staying in a relationship with a wealthy, older man who is enamored by her youth and beauty. But when she becomes passionately attracted to a young working class artist, she must decide if passionate love is enough of an impetus to become a true adult, and even — Gasp! — work for a living, in order to be with her lover.

I can relate to this conflict and spent some of my twenties playing it out. I liked the book a little less than the movie, but still really enjoyed it. You should read this alone in a cafe with a glass of red wine.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read That Mad Ache & Translator, Trader.

January 4, 2013 – Shelved