Katie G's Reviews > Such a Pretty Girl

Such a Pretty Girl by Laura Wiess

I'm not really sure what to make of this book. On the one hand, I immediately felt sorry for Meredith. Her father raped her and countless other children, and now her mother expects her to act like nothing ever happened. I know plenty of people in real life who act like this, who blame the victim instead of the child molester. Her mother was infuriating, but I believed it.

I also found myself laughing with a religious person for the first time in my life. Well, I'm not really sure it counts as laughing with someone if she wasn't laughing, but I still found myself cheering for a religious person, and that was a sort of nice surprise. I enjoyed the secondary characters in this more than I thought they would. They all had their own concerns, which seemed believable.

Sadly, there were some aspects of this book that I didn't find believable, and that's what's keeping me from giving this book a higher rating. I know that child molesters get away with their crimes all the time. People don't like to admit that they know someone who could do such a horrible thing. I get it. It's horrible, but I get it.

What I don't get, though, is this story. Everyone knows what Meredith's father did. Everyone hates him. They all want to see him in jail for a lot longer. They deny him food. They do things to his house. I don't really understand how this guy can get away with this when it's so clear to everyone around him what an ass he is.

Really, though, I could have lived with that. I could have just accepted that the world is even more horrible than I thought, especially since Wiess appears to have done a lot of research for this novel. What I can't understand, though, is how this all can happen when her grandmother is the mayor. I'm sorry, but people don't get to hurt the children of important people and get away with it - at least not when the important person cares about her family. I have a very hard time believing she wouldn't have gotten Meredith out of that house before her father ever got out of jail.

And then there was the ending. (view spoiler)

Overall, this story was a bit unbelievable, but I found the emotions it dealt with to be believable. I'd recommend reading it for yourself before judging it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Such a Pretty Girl.

January 4, 2013 – Shelved