Kelsha's Reviews > The Winds of War

The Winds of War by Herman Wouk

Mar 17, 2009

Describes the changes in the lives of an American family caught up in WWII. The story is fiction, though heavily based on historical events. It has a well develped plot and provides an abundance of historical background so that the characters can be placed acurately in the overall war story. Much of the background is provided as a fictional journal from one of Hitler's inner circle which is divided and placed throughout the book to allow you to follow the progress of the war along with the progression of the overall plot. These sections were extrememly difficult for me to read both because they were boaring and because of the intentional bias incorporated to show Nazi perspective.

This book and the sequal--War and Remembrance--signified a significant change in my reading abilities and interests. Both books are written essentially as one story, split not for the sake of plot, but to reduce the number of pages to carry around. With the previously noted exeption I loved them and couldn't put them down. I read these books in High School, but they are most appropiate for adults.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Winds of War.