Mollie's Reviews > Lover Avenged

Lover Avenged by J.R. Ward

Mar 17, 2009

liked it
bookshelves: paranormal-romance, vampires, borrowed, 2010, july

Alright y'all, I won't pussy foot around it - I was disappointed with this book. As I mentioned in my Goodreads discussion I think a lot of it had to do with my expectations. With Lover Enshrined I went in not expecting much based on a lot of blogger reviews; most people said it was their least favorite in the series. Because I started it with such low expectations, I actually ended up liking it a lot more than I had anticipated.

With Lover Avenged I went in expecting more, something better than Lover Enshrined and was pretty disappointed. I really didn't love Rhev all that much. *ducks* I enjoyed him in the other books but as a main hero he kinda fell flat for me. As others have mentioned I loved him with Bella, Nalla, and his mother. But with Ehlena...meh. I actually liked Ehlena a lot though. I thought her reaction to finding out the truth bout Rhev to be pretty realistic. I'da been pissed too. To me she was one of the stronger heroines of the series, but I still just didn't LOVE their story.

One thing I really enjoyedwas the Wrath/Beth storyline. We haven't seen that much of them since Dark Lover and it was nice to see more of their relationship post-HEA.

I think another reason I didn't like this one as well is because aside from the Wrath/Beth sub-plot I didn't care much for the other ongoing plots. There wasn't enough with John/Xhex (I know Lover Mine, can't wait!), there was like NO TEAM QHUAY in this one. *stomps foot & pouts* Now, I almost always just skim the lesser sections. I'm paying a little more attention now that Lash is Mr. Evil. But there just wasn't enough keeping me engaged in this one.

Overall, one of my least favorite in the series. Actually when I think about it, I enjoyed Lover Enshrined more because of all the other overarching sub-plots. It's official, this one is my least favorite of the series. It was just not satisfying enough.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lover Avenged.

March 17, 2009 – Shelved
July 2, 2010 – Shelved as: borrowed
July 2, 2010 – Shelved as: 2010
July 2, 2010 – Shelved as: july
July 2, 2010 – Finished Reading

message 1: by Rhonda (last edited Jun 15, 2010 01:00PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rhonda OMG Mollie, I just finished this series a few days ago, and this book and Lover Mine are my favorite. I ended up with POSTLOVERMINE disorder!!! LOL Keep tissues handy for LM!!
Thanks for the friendvite.

Mollie Ha! I've been reading the series for awhile but fell behind. So I'm trying to catch up to get to LM!!!!! I LOVE John Matthew! I'm liking LA so far but I've been busy at work all week and exhausted when I get home so I haven't had much time to read!!! GAH! My favorite in the series was Z's book. I'm pretty sure Lover Mine will either tie, or take over the #1 spot! ;)

Rhonda I understand being tired, sometimes no matter how much I want to read, the sandman wins out!!

Robin *loves sexy books* z and bella are still my favorite even after reading lover mine.

i read lover mine so fast because i was dying to see how everything worked out. but i think i need to go back and read it again to really soak it up.

love me some qhuinn and blay.

Rhonda Z's book was my #1 too. I loved them all so much. (6th book was boring)

Robin *loves sexy books* was the 6th book phury and cormia? that was my least favorite as well. it was ok but neither phury or cormia did a whole lot for me.

Mollie Ditto on Phury's book being the dud of the series. However, I still enjoyed it...that's why I like that she has so many story arcs going on. Even if you don't like the main h/h storyline...you can still really enjoy the novel as a whole! Still haven't progressed much on LA. Stoopid work!

Rhonda I loved LA.

Robin *loves sexy books* agree with you mollie on the multiple stories, i love the way she does that.

Rhonda Mollie wrote: "Ditto on Phury's book being the dud of the series. However, I still enjoyed it...that's why I like that she has so many story arcs going on. Even if you don't like the main h/h storyline...you can ..."

That's why I was able to make it through Phury's book.

Suzanne (Under the Covers Book blog) How are you liking LAv? This is one of my fave series, I love the brothers with Wrath being my hellren in my head anyways : )

I quite liked Phurys book, I think I must be one of the few who prefer it over this one!

Mollie I'm liking LV. Although, the whole pimp/drug dealer as hero is kinda hard to swallow. Looking forward to see how Ward redeems Rhev....

Z's still my fav but I do heart John Matthew!

I really enjoy this series. It's my literary crack. :)

Regina Mollie wrote: "I'm liking LV. Although, the whole pimp/drug dealer as hero is kinda hard to swallow. Looking forward to see how Ward redeems Rhev....

Z's still my fav but I do heart John Matthew!

I really enjoy..."

I completely agree about the pimp/drug dealer thing! I found Rehv repulsive in the earlier books -- especially when he was feeding Marissa. I enjoyed Lover Avenged -- I really liked the different story lines and it wasn't as bad as Phury's book (sorry Suzanne -- I just hate Phury's inner dialogue), but I had trouble seeing Rehv as a hero or even desirable. I do love this series though. And I did enjoy this book. Would love to read more on Butch and V. :)

Rhonda Wrath, Vishous, Butch, Z, and John... XOXOXO

Mollie I'm hoping Blay and Qhuinn get some real action and don't get the shaft (he he) like V and Butch.

Suzanne (Under the Covers Book blog) I think the reason I began to like Rehv is because although he is a pimp and dealer, he also sees himself as a whore and a druggie (to some extent) he doesn't think he is any better then those he pays. Also the way he cares for Bella and Nalla aswell, that makes him a bit more lovable.

I love Butch, he is next in line after Wrath : ) I like reading the bits of the books which feature him, especially when V and Butch are talking crap to eachother.

Lol that's okay Phury knows I love him : )

Regina Suzanne have you read Covet? Phury makes a brief appearance. :) I think it is just that for me, most of the brothers have something that would make me want to be with them in real life (haha). Phury doesn't, I couldn't handle Z (not saying he doesn't appeal to me or I don't like him ....), and I just couldn't deal with Rehv's profession. It also seems to me to be so counter to reality to have a pimp be so caring and actually respect women. Yes I know it is a fantasy, but I just don't buy it (kind of like Trez in Covet).

But I do get what you are saying, we all have different tastes. And I think Ward has excelled at developing deep and complex characters that are not 1 dimensional. Rehv is definitely deep and complex.

I so hope they get some satisfaction too *wink wink*. I know that V really wanted Butch b/c he was the first person he truly cared for, but I saw wanting between those two characters and was dissapointed when it didn't happen -- even if just once.

message 18: by Rhonda (last edited Jun 17, 2010 01:02PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rhonda I liked that Butch was cool eventhough he doesn't swing that way. I just love love them all!!!
Quhinn and Blay, Yea I bet that's coming, I wonder how many books we'll have to wait.

Robin *loves sexy books* As long as Ward keeps up the qhuinn/blay story in the upcoming books I'm fine on waiting. Like Mollie said it's crack and she keeps giving us our fix!!!

I loved rehv. I loved him thinking back to when Bella was little and looking after her. Ward really gives redeeming qualities to even the characters I don't like.

I think my favorite part of la was the very end when ehlena was in the back with him...yum!

Rhonda Qhuinn & Blay FOREVER!!!!

Suzanne (Under the Covers Book blog) I haven't read Covet yet, I am waiting for Crave so I can read them both back to back. I know what you mean about Rehv, it would be a hard pill to swallow and not something that I could easily deal with in reality either. But I did still like him, and like you said I think that you prefer the characters that you could see you liking if they were real (if only!) and I think in real life he would scare the crap outta me!

I also want Qhuinn and Blay to get together! I can't wait to see their story develop! I am glad though that V and Butch didn't get together, I think because it was almost totally one sided on V's side (although Butch had his moments) I don't think I would have been happy if it did happen between those two.

Rhonda Damn!!!! only 3 stars.... really????

Mollie I know, I know. I think it came down to expectation. With Lover Enshrined I went in not expecting much b/c of the many poo-poo reviews of it. And I ended up liking it a lot more than I thought I would.

With Lover Avenged I went in expecting more, something better than Lover Enshrined and was pretty disappointed. I really didn't love Rhev all that much. *ducks* I liked the stuff with Wrath and Beth. Not nearly enough with Qhuinn and Blay. So I didn't like the main h/h story line that much. And the sub-plots didn't hold my attention as well either. I'm gonna try to get my longer review finished & posted today though.

message 24: by Jill (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jill Dunlop Isn't it funny how reviews can influence your expectations of a book? It happens to me as well.

Mollie Definitely! I'm looking forward to Lover Mine though. I saw you didn't care for it too much. I can't wait, I heart JM & Co. !

message 26: by Jill (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jill Dunlop Well, I hope you enjoy it better than I did! Don't let me influence you, now :)