Marie Loughin's Reviews > Wool Omnibus

Jan 04, 2013

bookshelves: dystopian, science-fiction
Recommended for: Anyone looking willing to read SF
Read from December 15, 2012 to January 03, 2013 — I own a copy

First, I highly recommend this book. It is a shining example of (dystopian) science fiction. Go, Hugh Howey!

The opening story was particularly good as a stand alone and does a nice job setting the stage for what follows. Throughout the omnibus, the characters are all three dimensional, thereby making the multiple viewpoint approach very enjoyable.

I did lose track of who the main protagonist should be for a little while. Sometimes it seemed there was no "good guy;" Everyone was a little bit in the wrong. But maybe that's reality--and dystopian.

I was sometimes pulled out of the story when my suspension of disbelief was overstretched. However, since this is dystopian SF, I was able to shunt most such complaints aside by deciding aspects of this book are allegorical and not necessarily required to be realistic.

One small problem for me was that, in later parts, potentially exciting scenes were sometimes bogged down with distracting details. I found myself skimming. I was well pleased with the ending, though, and will certainly be reading future installments of this saga. Wool Omnibus

(Note: I often equate "dystopian" with depressing. For some reason, this book did not depress me, perhaps because of the well-rounded, often likable characters. Or perhaps because, for this book, "dystopian" is not the same as "hopeless.")

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wool Omnibus.