Chrissy (The Every Free Chance Reader)'s Reviews > Mad World: Sanctuary

Mad World by Samaire Provost

liked it
bookshelves: reviewed-on-blog

3.5 stars - not as excellent as the first but a good read

Did I enjoy this book: I did enjoy this book but not quite as much as the first book, Mad World: Epidemic. (See my review of Epidemic here.) I read this book every free chance I had and I could not put it down.

We are back with Jacob, Alyssa, Luke, and the rest of their little "family" about five years after Epidemic ended. Jacob and Alyssa have grown up more out of necessity than anything else. At some points, though, they seemed to lack maturity in that they were just too trusting...especially with the gentleman from the CDC. Alyssa and Jacob truly love each other and will do anything to protect each other and their family. This love is evident throughout the book...all the way to the end.

Luke is now 5 years old and showing some unique characteristics of being half-human, half-zombie. The government wants him in order to figure out a way to stop this plague. But their intentions are not keep the boy safe. Luke is a great character because even though he is young, he is rather smart. He listens to his mom and dad and learned how to survive in the crazy world that they are currently living in. You just want to hug Luke.

The action in this book is just about as intense as the action in the first book. However, Sanctuary was written as if Alyssa was telling us what had happened after the fact. And Alyssa often gave us the outcome prior to telling us the story. This took away from the suspense for me. The stories were still exciting but the edge-of-your-seat waiting to find out what happens experience wasn't always there. There was also a lot of repeating stories and events as well that took away a bit from the book.

With that being said, this was a great read! I cannot believe the ending...what a cliffhanger!!!! I CANNOT WAIT FOR THE NEXT BOOK!!!

Would I recommend it: I would recommend it. Please read Mad World: Epidemic first.

Will I read it again: I will not read this book again but I will read the next book in this series! I have to find out what happens next!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mad World.

January 4, 2013 – Started Reading