Mara's Reviews > The Queen Is Dead

The Queen Is Dead by Kate Locke

bookshelves: urban-fantasy, steampunk

The Immortal Empire series succeeds in weaving a unique world-building with some known UF cliques. There's politics, action, drama. Overall it's a very likeable series, and this book is even better than the first, even if it won't get in to the memorable pile.

The plot starts from where book one ended. Xandra has to face her new status and her family's reaction to it. Unfortunately they reacted pretty much as the rest of the world, with some horror. But family is always blood and when one of her brothers disappears Xandra launches herself into the mystery.
The story is pretty interesting, even if a couple of threads were cut too abruptly for my taste. They didn't seem really suspended, rather ignored. (They are both linked to what happened in the Tower. (view spoiler))

I'm not sure if there's a hole in the world-building or if I simply missed a point somewhere. We are told that there is no problem if Xandra and her wolf are mates, on the contrary. But we are also told that he has to marry a wolf. Why? Where's the explanation to this? What is the difference?
Consider also that it's a duty to get concubines so you can have half-blood children...

The characters are all interesting and they seem to have more than one layer. The best of them all? The city.
One thing is for sure, if you love London, this is a book for you.

The Queen is dead may be a standard UF novel, but it has plenty of points good enough to make it readable.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Queen Is Dead.

January 4, 2013 – Shelved