Vhernalyn's Reviews > Lone Wolf

Lone Wolf by Jodi Picoult

2025629

Almost 5 years ago, I had to watch my mother deteriorate on life support for a month. This book was a painful but somehow therapeutic read. It hit me so close to home but what I liked the most about it is how genuine everything felt from the visits to the ICU, the meetings with the doctors, and the pain of the uncertainty of a parent's recovery. The daughter Cara is 17 years-old and I was 18 years-old when I had to go through something very similar with the parent I was closest to. The grief she felt was so real it brought me back to the times I was in the ICU myself. At the same time I understood the anger Edward had toward his family and having to be the older sibling (which I am also) as well as the one burdened by dark family secrets. This book is special in that I literally understood how these characters felt so much that I was empathizing rather than sympathizing. I think Mrs. Picoult did an amazing job in capturing the emotions of having to watch someone you love hang in the balance of life and death with no way of communicating back to the ones who they love and who loves them most. I felt the outcome was realistic and there are a lot of thoughts the characters had that I shared as well. It's a tearjerker especially for those who have experienced it firsthand but I'm glad I got to read it because it's a story I won't forget.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lone Wolf.

January 3, 2013 – Started Reading