Shannon's Reviews > Cold Rock River

Cold Rock River by Jackie Lee Miles

liked it

** spoiler alert ** I feel very conflicted about this book. It had some beautiful moments and endearing characters. The plot meandered a little too much perhaps, but there were enough enjoyable nuggets in it I was happy to be along for the ride.

But there were some frustrating flaws in it too. For starters, the book was written primarily in the first-person voice of Adie. Adie is characterized as a rather simple, unsophisticated young woman in 1960s Georgia. She is a astute observer of human nature, though--an aspect of her personality I enjoyed. But the author would sometimes use Adie's voice to sound simple and uneducated (using bad grammar, for example) and then a paragraph later make a highly poetic and sophisticated observation such as "All that was left were ripples of who he once was and the piercing stare of who he'd become." It's a lovely sentence, surely, but it doesn't ring true to who Adie supposedly is. Made me feel like I never really "knew" her.

There were so many extra plot points--Austin the disabled the brother, Verna and her grief, Annie and her early death. Add that to the main subplot of Tempe's journal, and there was a LOT going on. I really believed for most of the novel that all the pieces would somehow tie together in the end, somehow, at least thematically, and they never really did. This was disappointing.

Still, there was enough good in this book that I'm glad I read it and would recommend it to others.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cold Rock River.

January 3, 2013 – Started Reading
January 3, 2013 – Shelved
January 10, 2013 –
page 200
63.69% "Really enjoying this book."
January 12, 2013 – Finished Reading