Tina "IRead2Escape"'s Reviews > Playing the Part

Playing the Part by Darcy Daniel

bookshelves: 2013-reading-challenge, contemporary-romance, reviewed-netgalley, reviewed

Playing the Part by Darcy Daniel had such a sweet, different approach to romance and love, heck even pain, forgiveness and revenge. I really, really enjoyed this read.

Anthea Cane is an actress who has lost her true self in all the hype of Hollywood. She really wants the lead part in The Farmer’s Wife, but it seems unlikely because she’s gotten such a reputation as an action actress with little talent who slept her way to the parts that she’s gotten. Thinking to get away from the life she is living and do some in depth studying for the part that she covets she decides to go back to her hometown and see if she can get a farmer to allow her to live and work on his farm to gain the knowledge she needs. She didn't expect the barrage of feelings that would hit her as soon as she came back to that small town, nor the anger from her elementary school best friend whom she hadn't seen in years. With options dwindling fast Anthea convinces a local blind farmer to let her stay there and help him. The hitch was this was a boy that she had a huge crush on and instead of showing her feelings she teased him and made his days hell. Now, she’s not only living with him under a false name, but she is genuinely likes him and is hugely attracted to him. Now, she just has to find a way to tell him the truth without losing him.

Cole Daniel is annoyed. Being a blind farmer who lives alone you would think he was used to having all kinds of help, but it’s the exact opposite. He’s become very self sufficient and has little patience for this city girl who has showed up on his farm nagging him to let her stay for awhile to study for a part she wanted. She thinks he doesn't know who she really is, but he does. And he sees the perfect chance to get back at her for bullying him in school when they were kids. Imagine his surprise when after a few bumps in the road she pitches in and actually is helpful. Not to mention he finds her amusing and begins to really enjoy her company. Not to mention the heat between them. Nothing is going as planned and now he has to find a way to let her know that he knows who she really is hope that she doesn't just walk away forever.

Cole’s blindness was due to a horrific childhood trauma and broke my heart as he came to terms with his past with the help of Anthea. The way they bumbled along in the beginning and then slowly began to get to know what the other needed before being asked was sweet and entertaining. As they explored a physical relationship with one another and got to know each other better it was sweet and then hotter and hotter.

This was a really nice story. You will enjoy it, I promise.

Thank you to NetGalley.com for the loan of this book in exchange for my honest review.

You can find this review and others at http://riverinaromantics.blogspot.com and http://tinar1121.blogspot.com

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Playing the Part.

January 3, 2013 – Shelved
February 23, 2013 – Started Reading
February 23, 2013 – Shelved as: 2013-reading-challenge
February 23, 2013 – Shelved as: contemporary-romance
February 23, 2013 –
February 25, 2013 – Finished Reading
March 12, 2013 – Shelved as: reviewed-netgalley
March 12, 2013 – Shelved as: reviewed

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

Lily (Night Owl Book Cafe) looks really cute, cannot wait to see what you think

Tina "IRead2Escape" I'm interested to see what I think..lol. So far, I really like the book and the hero, but the heroine is so self absorbed. She has these moments of clarity where she thinks "I think only of myself" and then she quickly forgets...lol. I don't hate her, though. It's early.