Ryan's Reviews > 1776

1776 by David McCullough

Mar 16, 2009

liked it
Read in March, 2009

Recently I have grown more and more interested in the Revolutionary War and how our country was shaped. With all the hype surrounding 1776, it seemed a good place to start. Overall, this was a good history of the year 1776. McCullough is a very good writer and delivered an interesting book that can stand the test of peer review. My biggest issue was with pacing. McCullough spent an inordinate amount of time discussing the siege of Boston and the Battle of Brooklyn, but then glossed over the American losses at Ft. Washington and Ft. Greene, devoting only a couple of paragraphs to these battles. He finished the narrative with an account of the American victories at Trenton and Princeton, but again didn't devote as much print space to either as he should have. Even with the inconsistencies in pacing, the book left me hungering for more. As the title suggests, this book only covered the first year of the 7 year conflict with left me with a feeling of incompleteness, like the second half of the book was missing. With any luck, maybe there will be a volume two covering the rest of the war. It is worth noting, especially with my pacing criticism above, that I listened to the audio version of the book read by the author.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read 1776.